Yay! I Get To Have Groin Surgery!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Don't read this if you're easily grossed out!

Well, it looks like carrying around my 23-pound six-month old seven hours a day has caused a bit of a problem. I was taking a shower the other night, and I noticed there was a strange bulge where there should be no bulge.

I go to the hospital yesterday, and it turns out I have an inguinal hernia, where the lining of the abdominal wall has broken, and some intestines have come out into my groin and (oh how fun) even into my scrotum. I'm calling up for an operation today, where apparently they have to make some small incisions at the lower abdomen where they loop the intestines back into, well, wherever intestines are supposed to go, then stitch a sort of mesh patch over the broken abdominal sac. Then they send me home for a strict regimen of ice cream and Bruce Campbell movies (at least that's what I'll tell everyone else). Has anyone else had this done before? How sore are you afterwards?
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    mom in law had this done... she was sore for awhile and slept alot, but she was up and runnin in about a week.

3. Oh my.......I just had a reflex action and my legs snapped shut after reading your post :eek:

Fortunately I havent had anything like this, however a work colleague had something similar - although it was intestine/stomach coming through about belt level. He got an op and has been fine since! Didn't ask about pain though.....

All the best! :)
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would write down exactly what you want them to do in marker on your stomach. So nothing goes missing. :eek: Good luck!
  5. *note to self. never lift anything* :eek:

The best to your Groin Bryan.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My guitarist had that problem about 3 years ago. After the surgery, he was messed up for a little while, but now is stronger before and says he never felt better. So good luck and heal well!
  7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dude, reading your post gave me some physical manifestations over here. Best of luck.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One word - [​IMG]

Hope all goes great.

No hauling an SVT for you!
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  10. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
  11. Daaaaaaayinnnnng! Sounds.. horrible. Hope all goes well Bryan! :cool:
    ...Gunna ask them to add ina couple inches while they are there? :p

there was a TV show call "DIY's worst nightmares" or something like that. A workman had been cutting a door with a circuler saw, finished with the saw he put it onto concrete floor, not reliasing it was still spinning! the saw jumped up and into his THIGH and ran into his groin! it cut a little bit of his penis too!

he joked to the ambulance docters asking if they could "add-in a few inches"!

his wife then later said "i wouldnt care if they had to amputate his leg! just make sure his weeman is OK!!!"

:eek: :D
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just hope the "doctors" aren't Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd's characters from Spies Like Us.

brad cook
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    *note to self: start exercising groin muscles now*
  14. I had this done last summer. The surgery itself is not bad cause you're knocked friggin out. When you wake up you feel a little queazy. I turned green when I first stood up out of the bed and almost threw up. I could barely stand. But that was just the after effects of the anesthesia. Um, I'm not gonna lie, you're pretty friggin sore. I mean, I could barely walk. I almost couldn't walk. I had to literally inch my way across the room. It took me about 5 minutes to move I'd say 15 feet. I had to stay in the same bed for like a day or two, and then I could move out and get around FAIRLY easy. In about 4-6 days I could walk almost normally. In 10 days I was up and about but the doctor (and my mommy ;) ) didnt want me doing any strenuous physical activities (what do they know though, a Ph.D means nothing on the street :eyebrow: :D ;) ) It's really not that bad, the time passes pretty quickly. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, you're not just sore in your groin. I'm geussing they have to cut through a huge friggin muscle cause I was sore from the are around the incision all the way up to my right chest and underarm. Its kinda like pulling a muscle. Just take it slow man. If you move the wrong way, the pain will almost knocl the breath out of you. The most painful thing I did was getting in bed, I sat down, and then had to lift my legs up. Holy crap, when you lift your legs up it hurts. Just find ways of movement and positions that cause the least amount of pain. Good luck man! Tell me how it goes!

EDIT: If you've got any other questions PM me man!
  15. :ninja: Gimli son of Gloin or shall I say Groin :ninja:

*Gimli = a drawf off of Lord of the Rings
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Dr Imhous: Doctor, Isn't that incision a bit high for an appendix?
    Milbarge: Do you want to do the operation? FINE, you come on up here and you do it!

Thanks for all the good wishes, guys. I wasn't really scared at all until I read freshmeat1989's post :bawl: Call me crazy but I've never been a big fan of pain. I'm scheduled to go in Wednesday morning, so hopefully me, spike, and the twins will be up and posting again by the weekend.
  17. im sorry, but that almost sent coffee all over my monitor! :cool: :p
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    According to my flatmate/cousin, it's not a complicated proceedure. The mesh you spoke about isn't used as often any more, but they will use it if the tear is big enough. Apparently you'll be up and about in a week but you won't be lifting your child for a while. You may want to make plans to work around that. In Austr, they also stop you from driving for a few weeks. Find out if that's the case in your neck of the woods and if so, plan around it.
  19. Good luck man...that doesn't sound too good:(
  20. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Good luck with that. Sounds pretty hardcore... Still, I imagine the doctors know what they're doing.