Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAY, I have a new amp!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It's a 1984 Carlsbro Stingray 150W combo, it has a single 15" speaker and a built in compressor, it rocks. Really growly as well!!! Just thought I'd share that. Has anyone else heard anything else about them? Good? Bad? Anything? Tell me please!!! Happy me:):D:):D

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    looks like what i have, except mine's a fender m-80 and it is incredibly loud for a 160 watt. i don't know anything about it. Seems cool.

3. Right on BG! :) Is`nt getting new stuff the bomb?:D

Ok,go and play with your new toy now!! ;)

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i'm sure it is kicking the laney's ass (if it had one).
    <font><size 5>[​IMG]</font>

5. There's an old Carlsbro Cobra combo in our prakky room at the moment...kinda pussy, but sounds quite nice for guitar (way too underpowered for bass).

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Oh yeah PoT it really does give it a damn good beating, by the way if anyone is interested I'm selling the 30W Laney for £60. Just thought you might wanna buy it and hang it on your wall or something, whenever you feel bad just look at it and realise that some people actually have to use an amp like that. It cheers me up:). My new one looks really comical in comparison, it is about 3 times the size!:D I thought the Carlsbro I was getting was a cobra but it's not. luckily it seems...

BTW What wattage is the cobra? 90 or something?

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if the laney doesn't make any noise or anything, you may want to keep it when you go on a vacation or something.

I have no idea what i'm going to do with my Peavey Microbass (i don't even think it is worth $10.) It makes all sorts or noise at 2, and more as it gets turn up. It is one POS. It hurts to play through it. It has a compression system in it, so i thought i could do something with that, or use the speaker for a hf unit or something.

8. Yeah, I think the Cobra's around 90w...it's actually not bad at all - it's just kinda hard to compare volumes with my old Ampeg. Gotta say i've never played bass thru it, only guitar.
    Killer tone controls on the back, lotsa knobs and switches for cuts/boosts and the like.

Where did they come from and what era?

9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    The Carlsbros are British built amps my one is from 1984 and I have a feeling that the Cobras were around that time.