YAY! I'm gonna be a Dad! Now What?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jun 3, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Just found out last week that my wife is pregnant. :hyper:

Never been a dad before so I was hoping some of you other dads could chime in with hints & tips. :help: I'll even take help that's been TABbed out. :D
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Relax and enjoy it.......there is nothing better than having a son named Max who loves to put raisins and hot wheels cars in the soundhole of your accoustic guitar. If ANYONE else on the planet did that I'd kill them, but when your own child does something that makes you laugh they can do no wrong. Congradulations......you're going to love it
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh boy, where do I begin? Being a dad is both the best and worst job in the world. You beam with pride, but at the same time, it's THE most vulnerable position to be in. Just remember, you have a life, don't try to force him/her to become that quarterback you couldn't. Most of all, keep your eyes open, ears tuned, and enjoy! :bassist:

Be prepared for this:
    An exchage between my wife and 10 year old:
    Him: "Ma, they're showing what'shisname's house on Cribs."
    Wife: "Who?"
    Him: "If I knew that, I wouldn't have called him 'what'shisname!"

Ahh, kids!
  4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Congratulations matey. now you know, they are never too young for you to start indoctrinating them!
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Congrats! You'll love it, even with all the difficulties. Your priorities will change dramatically. Embrace the change it brings, don't fight it.

Advice: Get prepared for little sleep. This can really wear on you. Convince mom to breastfeed and keep the baby in a basonet(sp?) next to the bed. This way you don't have to get up in the middle of the night and make the bottle!
  6. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Congrats again - I myself am a new dad with just under 6 months experience.

My advice for you while your wife is pregnant: "Nuture the Nuturer" - take care of her like you've never taken care of anything else in your life...

...and the rest? Well, we'll walk you through it when you get there.... ;)

+1 for what Baba said....

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks guys! :D

Mom is gonna breastfeed. You know what they say, breast is the best!

I'm already stockpiling on sleep, I figure I'll have a day or two extra by the time the stork stops by our place. :)

I'm soooo excited!!! :hyper:
  8. Congrats, Will!! :hyper:

Good advice above :) . Our son just turned 2 today, they don't call it the 'terrible 2's' for nothing :help: . Like LarryO said, children can do the most dispiccable things, but your love for them is going to amaze you. :)
  9. BWhite220

Sep 4, 2003
    NW Arkansas
    Congrats man! My wife is due on Nov 14, also our first. DirtDog hit the nail on the head!!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm always happy when I see this...

Instead of this...

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Patience is a big one. Keep a sense of humor. Here is funny one that took place as I dropped my daughter to her second day at a particular day care. She was maybe 3 years old at the time.

Little boy her age goes to her and says:

Boy- "Boys have a penis, what do you have"

Daughter says- "I dont like peanuts I like cashews."

At this point the "parts" didnt have a real name yet. You should have seen the emabarresed look on the boys mothers face!!! :eek: But we all ended up laughing with kids wondering what the big deal is.

Another good story: When my daughter found a garter snake in the back yard of her daycare and brought it in to put it back in the toy box. She thought it was toy. At that point she never saw a real snake, just the rubber ones.

I guess the teacher freaked and had all the kids moved out of the building until a police officer and fire rescue came to save them.

But in all seriouness, take time for you and your wife/girlfriend. Having children almost ruined our marriage. We actually split for over a year before we were able to figure out what was wrong. Mixture of "post partum depression" and the stress of us taking on the responsibilities of parent hood. Plus not having a family support system. We live 100+ miles from our closest family.

Maybe twice in three years did we ever take time for ourselves. Make an effort to have your dates to go out and be yourselves. In a way you feel like your personality is dissappearing, you feel like you are just a worker at a job, then a parent. So make time to maintain yourself and your relationship with your lady friend.

CAPISCH(sp?) ???
  12. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    You will never believe something so small will cause such strong emotions. Mine are now 12 and 14, my 14 year old is a better sax player than I am a bass player. Good times. The advise about taking occasional time for yourselves, and treating you lady special wen she is pregnant(anytime really) is also good. Have fun and be invloved in every step.
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Think of being in a prison, where you really love the jailor....
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ding, ding, ding!!!!
  15. now you have to change your name:

16. DING, DING, DING! +1!!!

You beat me to it, Woodie! :D

Good one, Ibanks! ;)

Mike :D
  17. Opps. How rude of me!

Congratulations, Willplay.

Mike :oops:
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    [sheepishly] actually a Ray Ramano joke[/sheepishly][​IMG]
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome. My twins are about to turn two, it's indescribable how cool it is to be a dad. Enjoy! (stocking up on sleep doesn't work, instead I'd suggest doing things like taking the Mrs. out to random movies etc. You'll have more trouble doing that later. :cool: )
  20. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

:D :D :D

That baby formula stuff isn't cheap! :eek: