Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yay, my homebuilt cab is finally finished!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    So here it is, my A-Level project... A 2x15 gigantic speaker cabinet. It's 120x60 and sounds pretty good (except for my crappy 1980 amp). Feedback would be cool.

2. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    WOW! Nice work man! Any pictures of the build process?

If ya want feedback, I'd suggest cranking the gain and holding your bass up to the front of the cabinet.

3. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    hey i'm a little interested in the specs...

could you tell me the drivers you used and the the volume and such...

thx

lp

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Sure.

Right... Dimensions first.

Internal sizes are:

120cm High
    58.5 wide
    35 deep

18mm mdf throughout.

Speakers are Celestion q15-2550 (8 Ohm).

Total volume of 245.7 litres.

Anything else you want to know about it just PM me or whatever and I'll give it all to you.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    put a grill on that bad boy and i think u got it. Im sure it sounds great but a silver grill would really set it off, imo. I have been thinking about making my own cab for a while now, but there is a good chance id screw up and be out lots of money. Looks awesome, hope it sounds great, lata.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    defenilty a nice piece of work man. thats defenilty something to be proud of. i would agree on the chrome grill. or maybe if you could find em two circular chrome grills. let us know how it works with a band!!

7. cool man so now u gotta make a tube head. j/k. cool i was wondering is it liek making a speaker cabinet or ismore complex? welp see ya [​IMG] :cool:

8. i mean liek making a Speaker installign it and conneting togter then to power source

9. Hey ya SMASH, try partsexpress for the cabinet corners. Plus they have just about everything else. I got everything I needed from there, except the expanded metal that I went to a metal arts place for.

Nice work Tom. What brand of drivers/specs?

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well. It's a speaker cabinet in that it is a cabinet with speakers in it.

I used 18mm MDF (medium density fibreboard) throughout. I got the corner protectors, carpet, recess dish and handles from www.maplin.co.uk.

The drivers are Celestion Q15-2550s, they are actually PA drivers but that is what Dr. Decibel, Master Of Tonal Mystery :D (of Celestion) suggested I use. He helped me loads by working out the actual port sizes for me on some cool computer program and generally answering all my questions. I designed the cabinet shape then OK'ed it with him before building it.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have but this was really my first foray into cabinet building.

If you're thinking of doing your own cabinet see if you can get hold of Loudspeakers For Musicians by Vivian Capel. It's really useful and explains everything in simple enough terms for beginners to understand but also includes all the equations and everything to make your own (along with 10 designs including a 4x12 bass cabinet). It explains the merits of each type of cabinet; sealed, ported, front loaded horn, folded horn. Everything you could really need to know.

If you want to know anything else don't hesitate to ask.

PS If anyone knows where I can get some kind of sheet steel with holes for a grille in the UK then please contact me.

Thanks.

11. If i was you tom, I'd just look up "Metalcrafting" or something like that in the phone book. I found a place that had KILLER stuff. I just went for cheap expanded metal, layed out the flat pattern in autodesk inventor, then printed it off full size and cut what needed cutting. Then stuck it in a sheet steel brake and bent it (all except one edge).

HTH.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Looks great!
    I built a 2-15" cab to, but mine is loaded with 20 year old JBL's (500 W RMS) for recording and Carvins for the big gigs (1200 W RMs). Do you know what freq. its tuned to? Mine is tuned to 30 Hz, talk about low!

Nick

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    It's tuned to 31Hz, for my 5er. The ports are 90mm diameter by 18mm deep. That's what Doctor Decibel helped me with, the maths bits. I'm gonna get the separate speaker grille bits instead, I found some that are a bit better fitting. Anyone know where I can 90mm tubes with a flange?

That'd be nice.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I went to home depot and bought some 6" diameter pvc pipe and plugged that diameter into the formulas to get the depth and cut them to that size. No flange, but thats ok since the whole front is covered with a metal grill and vintage Ampeg SVT grill cloth.

Nick

15. hey Tom,

How did you justify building a speaker cab for your A level project??

:)
    when i did the same subject at A Level, if it wasn't a revolutionary solution to an everyday problem, or a breakthough in plywood technology, then you just weren't allowed.

It's looking cool, get some nice grills on it and your sorted, just have to move the big barstool :)

Are you planning to upgrade you head?

stu

16. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm definitely gonna get a new head, the one I have just sucks, I'm gonna get at least a 400W, any suggestions?.

This is what my design brief looked like:

Design Brief

I will aim to design and build a high quality bass guitar speaker cabinet to be used in both bass guitar lessons and school productions/jazz band/assemblies etc. It must be strong and able to stand up to a high level of abuse as it will be residing in a classroom and therefore vandalism by pupils must be expected. It must be light enough to carry or push from room to room. The cabinet will be used for many different styles/genres of music and must therefore have a versatile tone able to cope with any type of playing from funk slap bass to picked punk. It must have the ability to be played at a high volume. The cabinet must retain its clarity whilst projecting low frequencies efficiently and effectively. The cabinet must be able to fit unobtrusively into a classroom without getting in the way of the pupils and/or the teacher. It must be quick to set up and use. It must be reliable and simple to use. It must also be aesthetically pleasing, as far as is possible without compromising acoustics/size/shape.

17. arrgh, that takes me back ;)

I was playing bass back then, all of 3 years ago, but i never thought about building a cab!?

That would have been great, i know of at least one other member who used their design technology lessons for bass building purposes.

I'm building a J bass at the moment, from a huge piece of nice maple!

As for heads, well it all depends on your playing style/musical genre and your budget.

I'm a minimalist, having the EA stuff. It's really nice and your can get it in the increased Wattage i.e. the older 600 and the new 750, whenever they come out here. However it is expensive and it's a nice piece of clean kit, which has one of the best tone shaping section. I am bias though.

Other heads i like include the Peavey firebass 700, there was a lot of talk about them a while back, i nearly bought one.

Also a head which isn't that well know, but is a great head and isn't overly expensive would be the DELTA 600 head. They were made in co-operation with the carlsboro company, and although they haven't got such a great name, were labelled only delta and are not produced anymore, so keep an eye out for them

On a personal note:

ifanyone knows of a 600 head for sale in the UK message me, cheers.

They really are a nice head, dual input with a seperate EQ for each. I really like them, if i were to power such a big head, i would have a look at them.

Generally though we're not limited to what we can get here, so get a out and play as many as you can, and if possible play through your beast of a cab :)

Arrange a trip into london :)

stu

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Thats pretty cool man. How does she sound?

19. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    The cab seems to sounds pretty good at low/mid volumes but as it gets higher the amp signal starts to distort, that's about small gig kinda level tho, so not bad for practices etc. With full volume on the head it starts clipping when i play hard, what's the best way to get the higherst volume out of it? It has a volume rotary knob and a master volume one, would it be as high as I can go on the volume without clipping/distortion then master as high as i need it? That's seems to work to a point then distorts anyway... Any advice would be cool. Or if you have any questions or something then just ask, I haven't got much else to do at school :D.