1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yay, NBD! :-( And not bashing Fender here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon McBass, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Jon McBass

Jon McBass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Good to know, BlueShox, thanks. Maybe they have an Elite Jazz V up there and I won't have to wait too long for a replacement. Guess I could just cruise up there. Because yes, in the Columbia store all they had were cheapos aside from this one Elite, which was up high on the wall in a frame, like some rare work of art (now maybe I know why...).

2. I didnt read the whole thread, and you are going to think I'm on dope, but did you have anything electronic in your pocket at home when you played it and heard the noise? I have an insulin pump that I keep in my pocket. When I am playing an active bass and have the bass's cavity near that (or my cell phone too) I can hear an electronic noise, like a clicking noise, until I move it away. It's weird, but it happens.

BnB

Youngspanion likes this.
  3. If the Bass you bought was the one hanging on the wall. I would return it and ask for a new one shipped from their factory. If it was on the wall, it could have been played and slapped by every bass player within a 150 mile radius over the last year. This is something they should do without any problems.

Ghastly likes this.
  4. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    If you live in or frequent Columbia, have you ever checked out Simms music on St Andrews? Their prices are competitive with GC's and they have a great selection, plus their customer services is superb. GC or Amazon typically win for me in regards to accessories like strings or pedals, but if I was going to buy a new guitar or amp in town, I would go there.

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Pay big bucks for a premium bass with a grounding or shielding problem and a harsh top end.

Consider your options for getting the situation rectified, and then have to apologize to the faithful for mentioning it...

Some of you guys have really drunk the Kool Aid.

6. Jon McBass

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    No, I don't think you are a dope, I appreciate your feedback. Actually, yes, I had my iPhone in my shirt pocket in the case of all these tests. Before I go back to GC I'll give it a try with the cell phone in another room.

Thing is, I'd really like to have an instrument that isn't that affected by a cell phone (hate to say it but I always have it in my pocket, probably getting fried by the radiation...). I haven't noticed the issue with my other basses. Anyway, thanks.

7. Jon McBass

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    :)

steve_rolfeca likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Well, it's ours to drink.

Get over it.

9. Jon McBass

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    Haha! Yeah, what was I thinking?? I mean it's Guitar Center forgoodnessakes! One time I bought a used Eden 4x10 that got shipped from California. Didn't have time to test int in the store, but later discovered it was a mess--one totally blown driver and only one that worked right. They took it back and happily gave me a refund. The next time I was in the store, I saw they had that same cabinet with the same visible damage in the used section for the same price. Buyer beware. But for some reason I didn't think to be concerned about a brand new bass on the wall. Duh? (Hey, I'm NOT trying to bash Guitar Center! There have been some very positive experiences!)

10. Jon McBass

Nov 20, 2017
    South Carolina
    I have been to Sims. Nice, family owned store, and everyone there has been with them for years and is very experienced. I was actually going to go there as my second stop, but had looked at their website and it looked like they didn't have many 5-strings, or many higher-end instruments, in their inventory. But I was pleasantly surprised by the prices I saw, competitive, and some great sales. Just thought GC might have more to choose from and wanted immediate gratification... Maybe a mistake... I'll go there next if things don't go well at GC today.

11. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    If it's a grounding problem it should go away (or at least be reduced) when you are touching the bridge, no?

Seems like some basic diagnostics might be in order. I'd take the GC salesperson into a quiet part of the store (maybe the acoustics room?) and demonstrate the problem, then ask if they will A) fix it or B) if they can't figure it out, reimburse you for having it fixed elsewhere.

Could just be a solder joint came loose through use since it was hanging on the wall. Seems worth checking out before you give up on it, if you like it otherwise.

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Sucks when you pay that much for a bass and it has issues:rollno:

Jon McBass and bdplaid like this.
  13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    It's not our problem to get over. Drink all the Kool Aid you want, but don't expect us to condone or coddle the more thin-skinned among you.

bdplaid likes this.
  14. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    No expectations as such, nor expectations of crappy comments about it, either.

15. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I lived in a house that no matter what I did, as soon as the front porch light came on, it sounded like a swarm of bees invaded my pickups. I went through hell before I figured out it was that particular light. Anyway. Silly story that has nothing to do with your post.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Our stage setup includes 30 par 56 sized led puck lights, 6 Chauvet moving heads, 2 large ADJ led foggers, and an ADJ hazer. So we’ve got a lot of electrical stuff going on. I’m not drinking any kool aid, I don’t particularly like the stuff. But I can say, with 100% honesty, that I’ve never had noise issues with either bass. And we play a lot, so there’s been a lot of different stages/environments.

staccatogrowl likes this.
  17. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The AmPro I bought new in 2017 was way, way bright as well. And that one was passive!

You could try that, but if i liked that individual bass I think I'd send it back to Fender. The thing for me would be, do I like the neck, the weight, and everything else? If so, I'd have Fender fix it. IME Fenders are so all over the map, at all prices, that if you find a good one, stick with it. This is my gripe with them, BTW - crap for QC, meaning inconsistent quality.

+1. I really want to like Fender, but their QC is so all over the place, while retaining high prices, that I can't. It's G&L for me if I want a Fender-like bass. And actually, G&L is Fender, too, just not FMIC.

18. I bought an American Deluxe Precision around the time they relaunched in 2008. Basically a forerunner to the new Elites I think. Had pretty much the same issue with the noise. It’s disappointing, I’d expect it from a bass maybe a third of the price but these were/are expensive instruments.

From what I’ve gathered through TB I’m not the only one who had this issue.

I really liked the bass in every other regard so I paid for a tech to do a thorough shielding job on it. Since then the “noiseless” pickups have really been noiseless. But I would have felt within my rights to return it. For what it’s worth I still have it now.

19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I replaced the pickups in a bass and had MAJOR buzz when I plugged it in. Assumed I messed up and checked everything, still buzzing. I turned off the TV that was plugged into the same receptacle and it vanished... In your case, it's obviously an issue in the bass, but if you're happy with it I'd have it repaired under warranty.

20. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    On a related topic, what happened to your Carvin? My 1996 LB76 is likewise on life support and I wonder if there’s a commonality.