Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yay, new amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tomass, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Tomass

Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    Just got my new amp last week, I played around with a couple of different heads and cabinets combinations and decided on this rig. I choose SWR WorkingPro 400 head with a Hartke VX410 Cab, ok nothing special compared to all you Ampeg fans but i feel in love with the tone. It matched my bass really well. But im a little confused with the Speaker outputs, its got 4 parallel ports. 2 Standard 1/4 jacks and these weird round ones which SWR call Speakon. Are they for SWR cabs only or can you buy em for other brand cabs with an adapter. Also are the Standard 1/4 outputs 4 ohms or 8 ohms?

Sorry for the questions but this is my first stack, some pictures just for show.

2. TJmccreedy2183

TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    Hey man i think i can be some help. The speakon cables you can buy at any music store and there for any amps that have a speakon connection. and the 1/4 outputs depend on your cab whether it's a 4ohm or 8ohm. if you cab is a 4 ohm then your amp will put out 4ohms worth of power. I hope this helps man. Laters

3. Nice set up!
    The speakon outputs are very common in pro audio gear; it's the same as a 1/4, cept it's a different plug.
    Basically, at very high power ratings they are more ideal. For your stack you won't have to worry, though!
    If you do a search for "speakon vs. 1/4"" you'll find detailed discussions on the matter.

The other details on your amp "4ohm 400W". This means you can run your amp a minium load of 4 ohms and your amp will deliver 400watts into your cabs. :)

So if your Harkte is an 8ohm cab (which it prob will be) your amp will deliver around 200W, give or take a litte, into your cab. Adding another 8ohm cab will give you the full 400W.

Enjoy it. :)