1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yay! NEW BASS... but.... From 4 to 5.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CitricGuy, Jul 11, 2003.

1. I swore to myself when I began playing I would NEVER get anything but a four string bass. The 5+ string would be too confusing I thought. Well I went and played a five string 24 fret Ibanz and was astonished, amazed, and drooling. So, it being my birthday and all I decided to get it. (I fiddled around with it forever, im supprised they didn't ask me to leave :D ) So I've got my new 5 string and love it. =)

I had no idea active pick-up's had made that big of a difference!

2. Congrats on a new bass! Now it's time to go from 5 to 6 on the next one. :p

3. Never! lol :D

4. :rolleyes: Another one to goes to the darkside...:rolleyes:

;) Enjoy the bass man...Happy birthday!

-Jon:oops:

5. I never got rid of my four string. I still wouldn't use anything else for slap bass :D

:bassist: <---- thats a 2 string :smug:

6. Ok, I guess my previous post was a lie. Its been several months now and I've demolished that sucker. It has been defreated and its pickguard (I have never actually used a pick) is a shaped floor tile. I don't think I could go back to a four string now if its all i had! I couldn't handle not being able to hit that low B. Hopefully our small music shop here on Maui won't ever aquire a 6 string bass. And as for slap, I find it easier to slap on my 5 string than i do my four string, the string spacing actually makes it easier to mute, plus with the extra string it seems like i can move much faster across the board! I HIGHLY Recommend any five string 24 fret Ibanz Solid Black

7. pick guard?:confused:

8. Too lazy to fix it, but this is my acknowledgement that it's there. :D

9. did you install a "custom" pickguard on it?

10. HAHA if you want to call it that yes. Ide call it trash though. It's a 99 cent flimsy floor tile from Home Deopt. Cut to cover the electronics and it does the trick. From 10+ feet away it looks REALLY cool (like stone), but any closer than that and it's just sad, lol. Ill put a picture up some time. Poor mans fix for broken components. Its a Frankenbass. The tuning nobs are random metalic houshold items and the tone nobs are strange little buggers. Ill admit it still sounds like it did when i bought it ($145 new, and trust me it sounds like what its worth... :rolleyes:)

11. You just gotta post some pictures! I gotta see this!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I dont see why people make such a big deal about switching from 4 to 5 to 6 strings, For ME at least it is no problem at all, I enjoy playing 6 strings the most, I just cant afford a good one...

actually, on my four string the (VERY OLD) "A" sting broke and I was playing a 3 stringer. I didnt like it.