YAY! new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DevinI, Apr 11, 2004.

1. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    just got my OLP MM2 stingray style, I know its still a cheapie
    but its my new bass !

also one question, ive heard alot of people talking about using olp's and changing pups or some of the electronics in it, could anyone tell me more about this im very intrested
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool score man. I have played one and thought it was very well put together, but the tone was a little bright for me.

Glad it made you happy.

What would you like to know about changing pickups and preamps?
  3. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    im not exactly sure, ive heard alot of people talking about getting new pickups and a new preamp to get it to sound more like the stingray, im not exactly sure since i dont really know all that techincal stuff off the top of my head, i guess im asking if i ever wanted to get new pickupsor change some of the electronics inside what should i do and about how much do you think it would cost, should i do it myself or get a tech to
  4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You may want to get a tech to do it if you aren't comfortable working with electronics and such. I can't give you info on replacing pups as I know more about Fender pups and nothing about MM style pups.

Congrats on the new bass. You are embarking on a great adventure. :)

5. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    so does anyone have any ideas
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Just enjoy it for a while....
  7. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    congrats on the new ax!!! it does not matter that it is cheap...it is yours and hopefully you will love it and you are playing and that is what matters :bassist: I have heard good things about the Basslines MM pickup. I love Rotosound strings and would recomend them. Keep the Funk Alive!!! :D
  8. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i guess what i was saying is if i ever wanted to turn this bass active how would i do that ;x
  9. Well if you want to make the bass "active" you need to get a preamp. Do you know if you want a 2 band or 3 band?
    You might want to get a new pickup too while you're at it (but you dont need to).

You're almost certainly gonna need to get routing done cause the control cavity on the OLPs is too small to hold a preamp (you need to take it to a tech for this). It also doesn't sound like you know enough about electronics yet, so I would probably let a tech install the electronics too.

Do some reading and some searching on ebay. Look up some of these:

Seymour Duncan pickups (Basslines Music Man replacements)
    Bartolini pickups (MMC, MMX, etc)

Aguilar preamps (OBP-1, OBP-3)
    Bartolini preamps (NTBT, NTMB)

That should be a good start. :cool: