Yay... Newbie question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Focal X, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Focal X

Focal X

Jan 17, 2006
    Sorry guys, I checked the FAQ and couldn't find the cure.

I just recently started playing the bass (and love it btw) and wanted to expand my playing with some buddies. So I went and ran off and bought an amp off ebay and I think I made an ass of myself.

I purchased a Marshall 8100 100w Vavlestate half stack and they're telling me I'll tear this thing apart. So I'm pretty much taking thier word but I'm looking to you guys for solutions.

Is there a way I can rewire the speaker ohms, or just purchase a new head or should I pretty much just sell the thing?

Thanks in advance.
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's an older series, is it a guitar amp? Is that why they say you'll tear it up? If so it's usable but not advisable. Usually Valvestate is a guitar amp and Basstate is for Bass.

edit: I just checked my guitar practice amp, It's an 8040 Valvestate so yeah it sounds like you have the 100watt version of the old series vavlesate guitar amp.
    It's not meant to handle Bass but it will work if you take it easy. You won't get the proper tone.
    I don't know what your money situation is, but I would rather have a Bass amp. If your running tight, just take it easy on it till you can do something else, but yeah the best thing to do is sell it and get a Bass amp.
    On a side note, there are a few bassist out there that mix a Marshall w/ say an Ampeg to get a grinding tone, but they are using the higher end Marshalls.
  3. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    Sell that as soon as you can. dont even bother using it as a bass head..yeah it will work but its designed for electric guitar... I recommend looking into a used peavey, ampeg or gallien krueger with an output of at least 400 watts at 4 ohms.
  4. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Your speaker cab is something to consider. If you're using a 4x12 guitar cab, you will tear it apart. Pick up a couple of 4x10 bass cabs, and you never know.

100W might be a little underpowered for bass, but don't write it off just because it doesn't say "bass" on the amp. I knew a bassist for a really popular regional band that played through a 60's Kustom guitar stack - and it sounded great!

The key is a) that you like how it sounds and b) that it serves your function (loud and low enough for you).