Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yay! Tomorrow I get my new bass! (more)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BaSsDuDe230, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Im torn too! Theres a Yamaha TRB5II (i love that bass...it sounds so nice to me for some reason :D) which is 650$ (ima prob get it down to 600 for 550 :))and theres also the Carvin custom that i like ($500) . Ill fill you on what i get...juss hope no1 got to it b4 me :D. But! What do u guyz think? Ill go on my opinion,not ur guyz so dont worry ;) Oh Yeah! The carvin i dunno wat model it is to...it has 2 soap bar pickups, alot of switches and knobs (ima have fun! jk) im not sure on anything else

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Are those the neck thru ones? Those have a great growl to them.

3. hmmm... switches and knobs are cool so go with the Carvin:)

4. actually im not sure...lemme try to think...i have a bad memory =)...i think it was a neck thru ;) argh were u talkin bout the carvin or yamaha? i think the yamaha was....bolt on ;) the carvin might of been too...ok im sure on the yamaha no clue on the carvin ;)

5. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I would personally get the TRB. I've played quite a few of them and they are very nice basses. I've only played 2 Carvins though, so my experience on those is limited. They were both very nice, but the 6 I played sounded extremely thin next to other basses. Not saying that's status quo on Carvin, just on that one bass.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have the predecessor that Yamaha, the TRB-5, bolt-on model. It's a great playing bass, so smooth and comfortable and an articulate modern tone - but I'm a little disappointed with the electronics, especially the preamp. An active bass in that price range (over $1000 new) should not have to live with all that hiss.
    I rarely play mine anymore because the frets are practically worn out and need a dressing (is that the word?), but I don't feel like swinging the $ for it right now.

It's a really nice bass, especially for your money. I hope you'll have a lot of fun with it!

7. i got it today...its nice. Itz damn nice :) The b strings good...its really nice...i juss got it 3 min ago tho so ill post a full review l8r :D

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The yamaha?

9. haha! i feal so retarded now! yea the yamaha...its in a nice blueish color...did i mention its good?

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of those 2, you made the right choice IMHO. Congratulations! Enjoy.:)

Might consider an electronics transplant a few years down the road.

11. the TRB Yamahas are awesome!

i love the way they look.
    Patitucci uses a TRB 6 (signature)
    Yamaha makes everything and they're all good!

But how's the RBX 5?...i heard those were good.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I was gonna say Yamaha. You totally made the right choice, Im behind you 100% :D

lets all make him feel good about his new bass!

13. I have the RBX765. I like it a lot. Feels great. The B string is pretty good. But I can't find a good slap tone. Also, might change the preamp or pickups in a few years. I'll have to do some research.

14. :) yea i love this bass...its worth it for ne1 who is lookin for a good bass...And the color is sweet as hell...a blueish/black type thing...i love how it looks...the slap tone is great. For some reason, i slap unreal on that...i hit the right string every time :) The tapping...well when i get better at tappin ill fill yous in (I can play dmv! terribly tho hehe) I am havin a bit trouble with going to this tho (EX: My bro and i were jammin and i thought about 30% of the time i was playin the E and thought it was A) Ill get used to it tho...and there was no scartces, dents, or anything bad about this. No marks or anything after close inspection toi my surpise. anywayz point is i recommend this

BTW The pic is attached...Its Perty aint it? It looks better in person tho