yba-200 + avatar 2 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Nov 7, 2005.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Im a brand new member, and since discovering this site about four days ago, I cant stop reading. So much great information! I've been playing for about 15 years on and off and thought that all there was in the world for bass was Ampeg! (I had the oportunity to play through a vintage SVT at an outdoor gig once in '98, and it changed my life, tone-wise) Anyway, all I've ever owned is SS and have never been happy with my tone- ever. Since reading this site, I've decided to buy the Traynor tube head. Seems like the perfect answer for my tone issues. Now trying to decide on a cab... Hearing great stuff about the Avatar cabs, and cant believe they're so cheap! I have read here that some cabs don't sound as good as others with this head. A 2 12 is what im pretty set on getting. Is Avatar a good match? I play classic rock and classic country with a loose group of fellas who like to get rowdy, but play pretty quietly volume wise...as strange as that sounds (just one guitarist playin thru a blackface vibroverb, a smooth drummer who's not trying to show off his power, and a great fiddle player) I'm itching to pull the trigger and enter the world of tubes, so I need a cab quick! Thanks.... I blew the speaker on my BA115 with my Sans BDDI, so right now I have nothing...I never liked the sound of it anyway.....
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    That should be a nice combo. Get the Avatar in 8Ohm in case you want to expand later on. I've never been a 12s guy as I like the rumble of my 15s but I miss some highs that 10s offer.

The Traynor isn't going to be squeaky clean which might be what you are looking for (coming from running all SS) Tubes are a whole new beast that I think sounds much better.

Welcome to TB by the way!
  3. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Hey, thanks for the welcome...I can't *#&$^ wait to get it. Trying to keep my expectations in check, however. I tend to get overly anxious sometimes. I've read the preamp tube situation on other threads, so if more clean tone is needed I know I can do some switching. I'm real happy that the head is 4/8 ohm switchable. Gonna get the 8 ohm 212, then buy a 15 later on to add to the mix. That'll probably happen after I find a mbrown Ric somewheres, but don't tell my wife....
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, good combo. I play "mix & match" with a few heads/cabs I own, and I have tried that combination. You won't be disappointed.

Highly recommend that preamp tube change, though.... made a world of difference on my Traynor.

Welcome to TB!
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Some NOS 5751's would do it good in mellowing it out a tad
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think if you want a vintagey sound like Ampeg, you should try the YBA with an Ear Candy 212. Its a bit more expensive, but when I tried one with my Mesa 400+, it sounded very awesome. I'm sure it would fit right in with the YBA-200. Do a google search, they are online. You can customize it all you want too. They are a bit more expensive, but they capture the vintage tone better than Avatar, which is a bit more modern with tweeters and such.
  7. Denton57 - I have THAT setup, just bought it, yba200 and a 2x10 neo cab (and another 1x15), I hemed and hawed and researched hi and low, I wanted tubes, light weight, and good features, I think youll be very pleased, I am. Im a classic rock player too, it fits my style very well, I think youll find the setup pretty loud and real nice tone. If you play with a pick youll have to attenuate the highs quite a bit, at least I do with my Rick.

Ive read other things about the other 2 avatar 2x10 models, but the weight was more important to me, it will be especailly at 1:30am packing up! The neo is wonderful - as comparison, I tried a SWR 2x10 Workingmans cab in the store, YUCK compared to the Avatar, and with the discounted price it was still higher. Its a crap shoot mail ordering with out first hearing, but in my case it worked out for the best.

good luck!
  8. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Hey thanks, PickyRickyMike! Yeah, ordering gear without hearing it first takes some guts. Heck, two weeks ago I had never even heard of Traynor, Avatar, Bag End, and most of the other gear mentioned here on this site! I guess ive been living in a cave....I only thought there was Ampeg and a few others, except for some high end expensive stuff that Id never splurge on and buy. But thanks to the incredible combined knowledge of thousands of everyday bass players on this site who have nothing to gain one way or the other by what equipment I or anyone plays, I have made a decision to spend a thousand or so bucks on a head and cabinet I have yet to hear. I know for a fact that I want real tube tone, and I think I'll be very happy once the stuff FINALLY gets here. I ordered my 212 Neo Avatar today. I'm glad the tweeter has a volume adjust...This set up will probably be loud enough for this winter, but I went ahead and got the 8ohm cab so I could add on later for the summer outdoor party season!