Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YBA-3 Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboysam, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Have any of you tried modifying your YBA-3 so that it runs on 6550s? IF so what did you think of the results. I am thinking about selling the YBA200 but I am concerned that the EL34s in my YBA-3 will not be enough in a loud band situation.

2. If your YBA-3 isn't loud enough in a band situation, then you must be 1/. driving very inefficient speakers, 2/. play in a band with Zakk Wylde or 3/. perhaps there is something wrong with the amp.

With luck Psycho Bass Guy will chime in. He is probably the most knowledgeable when it comes to Traynors and tube swaps.

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Bassboy,

If you want to sell your YBA200, let me know cause I am very interested. And, also, I live in Ottawa too !!!! Keep in touch !
    Both YBA-3 and YBA200 are great Amps !

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Why do you want to sell?

5. I dont really want 2 amps, i would rather put the money towards a new stingray and then pick up an XS400 as a back up amp at a later time. I just found that the YBA-3 is more to my taste (not as scooped as the YBA200). I still think the YBA200 is more versatile and has some nice features like the tuner mute, DI output etc. and sounds great but not for the "stoner rock" that we play. The other problem i have been having is that one of our guitar players plays through a bass amp and i found that the YBa200 did not have enough mids to cut through. It could be the cab, but i dont have the money for an ampeg or berg.

6. Yeah I simply cant hear my self in the mix with the YBA200. I recorded our practice today, The YBA3s growl can be heard no matter what was happening. The YBA200 sounded great but when 2 guitars are present i could not hear myself....i could definetly feel it but there was nothing cutting through. I dont like using pre amps and EQs because i find my tone loses alot of meat when i use any processors or effects. With just one guitar or on its own the YBA200 kicked ass, it destroyes the YBA3 in volume and moves a heck of a lot more air. ITs just too bad the voicing just does not work for me.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I had the same issues with the one I tried out...too scooped, and I don't like a lot of mids to begin with!

Still, with the right axe,cabinet and in the right situation, the YBA200 would kick a**, IMO.

You mentioned in another thread you were interested in trying out the XS800H...I'd highly recommend that, or in the alternative the XS400H...same basic features, but the XS800H has switchable pre (SS/Tube) and the Bass Resonance feature, which does come in handy going from Classic Rock gigs to Funk/Gospel gigs...

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm interested in this mod as well. And I've played plenty of situations where the YBA-3 isn't loud enough, especially compared to my Mesa D-180 or M2000. I'd like to give my YBA-3 enough oomph to compete with a loud, no-pa support type of gig.

9. While on the subject of modfiying a YBA-3, is it possible to re-wire the outputs so that they are in parallel as opposed to series? Most cabs are 8 ohms these days and runnig 2 of them would bring the impedance up to 16 ohms, the YBA-3 puts out its max power at 4 ohms.

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    So there's nobody on talkbass who's done this mod? I'm thinking of just shelling out the $$ and getting it done.

My Traynor bug is acting up again as I just bought a Mono Block II :p