1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YBA-3 QUICK HELP!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hydrohydra, Jan 14, 2013.

1. i was hoping someone that has experience with this amp could quick tell me the type of fuse it takes, im far away from any of my fuses or my head and i have practice tonight, i gotta hit a radio shack asap! hurry talkbass, your my only hope!

2. don't know the exact value but it should be a slow blow, probably about 6 amps.
    edit: its 7 amps according to the schematic I found online.
    However, usually if you are blowing fuses there is a reason. Might want to get that amp to a tech.

3. i seen someone say 250 volt 5 amp on anther site, that sounds a little more familiar, that schematic says 7 amp huh?

4. Well I'm quite sure it has a 1/4" barrel fuse but I'm not sure of the amp rating. Can you read anything on the back of the amp near the fuse holder?

Can you read the fine print on the end of the fuse? (on the barrel) The type and rating should be found there.

Somebody here has a YBA-3 that has a good fuse in it...

5. yeah my amp is about 45 mins away from me or else id just look at the fuses, i was hoping somone with a yba would save the day

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

5A is what the schematic calls for. A fast blow is what I would use. Did you ascertain why the fuse blew in the first place??

If it blows again take it to a tech for some TLC.

7. I just got a pack of A5 Fast blows, thanks for the tip Paul. I am my friends believe the issue is that I was running at 4 ohms and the transformer was making the fuse pop it was running extremely hot at the fuse port and the were at a normal temperature, sticking to 8ohms ://

8. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    note: the outputs on the YBA 3 are in SERIES not parallel so if you plugged two 8 ohm cabs back there you would have been operating at 16 ohms (worse for the head than running at 4 ohms (IMO)

But as mentioned, I would get it checked by a good honest tech if you keep blowing fuses.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I'm pretty sure the YBA3 IS a 4Ω load amp. It came with two speakers.

10. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    the yba-3 is designed to run optimally at 8 ohms but like the Yba-1 it's "fine" at 4 ohms

the two speaker output jacks on the back of the amp are wired in series so if you do use two 4 ohm cabs, plugging both cabs into the head, you'll be at 8 ohms.

11. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have 2 YBA-3's .... one is an early one from the late 1960's and one is a transition 1971/72 bumper type case , the chassis slides out ( both NON-Master), later years they went to the pop top ... anyways, both of my amps use a 5 amp fuse ( 250 volt ), the only tap used on the output transformer was a 8 ohm, there is another tap wire, but it's not used .... the jack are wired in series ... I've run both amps on long nights into 4 ohm cabinets and had no issues

12. in my understanding, slow blow fuses are more suited to tube amps which can have some pretty heavy inrush current just filling up the caps.
    5 is probably a safer bet than 7amp.

I was under the impression that YBA1a were 8ohm amps an YBA3 were 4 or 8 ohm.:confused:

13. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I emailed Traynor (Yorkville) Tech Support a few months back and they said my YBA-3 ('73 model) was good for 4 or 8 ohms.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021