yba owners: get the KT88's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 17, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Just got mine put in. I cant believe the difference. Thick, full, and a LOT louder than the 6550's that were in it. I really like my amp now :hyper: I got the JJ/Teslas from Eurotubes. I havent played with the band on my Ampeg 8x10 yet, but on my Avatar 212 here at the house, I shook the house.
  2. I have KT88s in my YBA200 and i actually tried it through an Avatar 212 neo the other day, with the gain at 6 and master at 4 and EQ mostly flat the cab was farting out like i was pushing 1000 watts into it...did you notice anything like that?

I mean it sounded like geezer butler going though his broken 4x12..which is not a bad thing but definetly unexpected. I have had no speaker distortion problems at all with my Ampeg 610 though, and its rated about the same as the avatar.
  3. Avatar uses mainly eminence speakers, and when using a speaker box calculation program, you'll see that most eminences (especially the cheaper ones) have a serious "power dip" in most cabs. They actually pass the X-max limit (coil displacement) for low frequencies, already at very low power.
    You won't cross their real mechanical limit, but the magnet will lose control over the speaker for short time, that's the farting. That's also why most box builders won't use standard eminences (and why they're lot more expensive).
  4. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Yes Bassboysam, It did fart out. It wouldnt do that with the stock tubes. I cant wait to hear it through my 8x10. Glad to know it sounds good with the 6x10. I was gonna keep the 212 for smaller gigs, but it might hit the sale block now. Im thinking about the Ampeg 18...maybe it would sound good alongside the 8x10 for the outdoor gigs, and I could use it by itself for the small ones.