Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yba200 needs bigger cab!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by big evil robot, May 26, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I have a gk 410blx right now, but my yba200 is pushing it really really hard, I guess I need something with a lot more handling.
    the GK is 400w @ 8ohms.
    I really don't want to go back to the world of 810's. I just sold my fridge a couple months ago.
    I need some ideas for an alternative.
    Just a 15 maybe?
    or can anyone recommend a solid afordable 12's setup?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe Avatar212

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could replace the GK with an Eden 410 XLT. Very good cab, especially for running tubes. However, it might be a bit expensive. Perhaps you should just stick an Avatar 212 under your 410?

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    don't think anyone carries avatar up here

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You missed this thread then! Read it and grin!

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    the cab is very brash sounding, and it really doesn't like the lows the yba puts out.
    I'm getting distortion like crazy.
    I guess its just a level of speaker quality.

Thats great news about avatar stuff, I was considering them last year but didn't want the hassle of dealing with customs.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If your GK handles 400 watts (RMS of course), there is no way that the YBA200 is even coming close to making it break a sweat. The problem isn't the cab's ability to handle power, it's got to be something else. Have you taken that particular amp to any shops to play through some different heads?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It is completely possible that the GK won't take what the YBA gives it. The YBA is very loud for 200 watts (it is all tube), and just because a cab can take 400 watts doesn't mean it can take 400 watts at every frequency. He said it can't take the YBS's lows.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Isn't the BLX the Backline series cab? I think an Avatar 2x12 would be a huge improvement, since the backline cabs are kinda bass-shy.

10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    It did well with my hartke 3500.
    So the problem lies entirely with its ability to handle bottom. I'll have to go check out some cabs tomorrow.
    Or see about ordering in an avatar.
    I'm thinking about the GK Neo 212, or a yorkville 808. 2 totally different critters.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Are you sure it's not the amp distorting, rather than the cab?

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    and do we have the bass boosted on the YBA ? That would certainly do it...

13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I'd roll some different tubes in there before I bought a speaker. If it were me, I mean...

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah, the stock tubes sound kinda ugly. But I doubt its distortion because you have to turn it up pretty damn high to distort a YBA. It might be overdriven a bit though...

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Overdrive is distortion. It's the same thing, just a matter of degree.

16. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    possitive its not the amp.
    you can see the speakers flapping hard when i push the lows, hard enough to hit the grill.
    I do plan on re-tubing the amp in a little while but for now its fine.

I checked GK's site on the cabs specs, it just doesn't have the frequency range that I need. It sounds great for mids and highs, but bottom isn't its thing, I think I just need a good solid 15 or 12 cab to take the lows.

17. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    +1 on that, i had a yba 200 head and they are a great head if you want plenty of distortion!! mine got dirty way to fast! i have been told and its been said in other threads changing the pre tubes should make a great improvement! im not saying anything bad about the yba200 its a great amp!! just not my cup of tea! :bassist: