Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YBA200 or 400 combo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbmx, Sep 5, 2005.

1. I need some help guys. I've got the money to get a new amp and I can get Yorkville stuff cheaper than anything else so it's a choice between the YBA200 head and matching cab or the xs400t combo with an extension cab (either 2x10 or 1x15). What about the xs400 head with a Yorkville 4x10 cab?
    What are the differences in tone? Which is louder? Any problems people have found with either? Just any help with decideing would be great.

I know I already made a similar thread a while back but that was asking for sound files.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout a YBA-200 with a different cab? Maybe an Avatar, if you are on a budget... Between the 400 and the 200, I think the 200 might have a little more volume, depending on which cab you get. The 200 will get a much warmer and vintage tone as well, whereas if you want a more modern tone the 400 would be better.

3. I play a bit of everything but I want something that's going to sound really good for slap.

I'll probably stick with a Yorville amp AND cab cause I can get it so cheap.

What's the head room like on the YBA200? Can you get a good clean sound from it?

I've checked harmonycentral for both amps and they both get great reviews.

xs400t: A few quick changes on your bass' active EQ and you can get anything from smooth blues to "TOOL" literaly on the fly. My VERY expensive ashdown rig now sits gathering dust for this beast. .. It's almost too loud.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For slap, go with the 400. The 200 really doesn't have a lot of good cleantone.

5. Thanks very much. I'm kind of getting the idea that the 400 is more versatile than the 200, right?

What can the 200 do that the 400 can't? Also, if I got an extension cab for the 400 (15 or 2x10) would it be as loud as the 200?

Sorry, these are probably dumb questions but I need to know what's going to be best before I order it. I can swap it later but would prefer not to.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 400 is much more versitle, but it can't do the vintage tubey tone and overdrive that the 200 can get. I would recommend getting a 400 head with a 410 cab, or another cab of similar size. Avatar would be an awesome choice for either head. That said, the volume difference will not be so great that you will be begging for one head over the other. Both should be loud enough.

7. What's your opinion on the yorkville 410? Could get the 400 head and yorkville 410 cab.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have never actually played the 410 with the 400 head. However, I did plug in an Ampeg all SS head (ugh) into a used one at a GC and it struck me as well balenced, but nothing special and a bit oversized for the sound it got. But that could have been the head too...

9. Yeah, I'm not too sure about their bigger cabs. How different would the 210 combo+210 extension sound to the same head and 410 cab?

I'm heading up country for a weekend some time soon to check everything out but this all helps.

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have the BassMaster 400 head I run into a Avatar 2x10 and 1x15. I use it in a band setting with a very hard hitting drummer. I really like it. more than enough volume, has get range of tones....

I have not played a 200..

11. How do you connect the cabs? There's only one speakon, right? So is it one speakon and one 1/4"? Is it loud enough without the 15?
    I've been thinking that for the time being I might just get the 210 combo (if I find I like the sound) and build a heavyduty box for transporting it around in that it could also sit on top of for gigs, bringing the 10s higher up. Could get the 15 extension later.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The combo with an extension cab would not sound like the 410 due to the different boxes the speakers are in, and they do not interact with each other as a result. I would recommend to stay away from Yorkie cabs all together and go maybe Avatar. The Avatar might even be a tad cheaper...

13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The amp I have, has two speaker outs, Both 1/4 inch. I run my speakers Daisey chained. Both my speakers are 8 ohm. If I recall the amp will only go down to 4 ohm.

I use it with just the 2x10 for practice. works great, more than loud enough, just needs a little bottom that I have gotten use to with the 15.
    Me personally I would go with the head and cab, but that is all up to you, There are many great reasons for each. I think the main reason I like the head and cab set up is for transportation and load in and out.