Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YBA200 or keep my Bassman 135?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Mar 18, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was looking at getting a YBA200, and was wondering how they would compare to my old Bassman 135 tone wise.....:confused: I love my Bassman 135, but it lacks in volume at times, and I've read good things about the YBA200. So help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think it would get a bit louder and have more of a growl to it. The YBA overdrives fairly easily, and you would want to get some non stock tubes. The tone should be a bit different; I have a Mesa 400+, which has the same tone stack as the Bassman and its a bit more hi fi than the YBA, and the YBA has more of a mid, low mid bump.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Have you had the capacitors updated in the 135? Are tubes recent? Have the power tubes been biased? Has the rest of the amp been gone over?

If not, I'd take it to a tube amp tech for a checkup before concluding that the amp won't cut it. I'm learning about repairing Bassman amps and am quite surprised between an all-original-never-been-worked-on amp and one that's been given a once over.

I'd thought about the Yorkville and a friend mentioned that the old Fender eyelet circuit boards would likely be more durable and easier to work on than more recent amps, especially those with pots soldered to the board.

4. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    What cabinet are you running with it?

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Having owned a 135 many years ago I would say go for the YBA 200. The Bassman always seemed to me to lack headroom and grunt at any half decent gig, although I loved its tone by itself. Plus there is some debate as to whether the 135 is a genuine 135 watts, since the power valves are the same. Add to that getting a more modern and more grunty valve amp with up to date caps etc. and for my money the YBA wins hands down.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it has all new tubes (EH's in the preamp, and SED Winged C's in the power section) the caps are still OEM so I guess those could use some changing. As for cabs I'm using two EA CXL112's here is a pic on my rig....[​IMG]

7. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Be sure to have the power tube bias checked if you haven't already. I found my Bassman 100 had them very cold by default, which would make the amp sound weak.

Are those sneakers part of the rig, too? :meh:

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Like I said before, if you like the tone, you need more speakers.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is the inside the 135... [​IMG]

10. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Something to consider is replacing all the white Mallory electrolytic capacitors. They're supposed to have a life of about 10 years before shifting from their intended values.

This is a nice clean design...if you looked into a YBA200, it might pose a surprise contrast.

Also, consider switching the bias balance pot to a bias adjust pot. That allows tweaking the bias for somewhat different sound within the power tubes' safe operating range.