Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YBA200 Users...What Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Looking at picking up a YBA200. Now I have heard the matching cab (1x15+2x10) isn't all that good. So...what cabs would you recomend to match with this head. I play a mix of classic metal (Sabbath, Motorhead), punk (a la Sex Pistols), and some country rock...(think Supersuckers), using modded Fender P+J's. I like my mids, a bit of crunch, but not a big fan of the highs. Also looking for portability and price for the cabs.

I DON'T NEED to know about what tubes you switched out and put in and didn't bias because they run hotter blah blah blah...I have already searched that and found the info I need...

SO I AM JUST LOOKING FOR CAB INFO that would match with the music and head.

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Dr Bass cabs would do you right. Maybe 2 BL15neos for your style of music.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    2x15 should do you just right. It's what I am planning on running when I get around to picking up a YBA200

4. I have the YBA 200.

It doesn't match well with my Bergantino HT115, and HT210. Has anyone tried "Flite" cabs with the "YBA200"??

:help:

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Can you elaborate on why it doesn't work well? seems liek it would be a good match

6. I have a GK 1001RB that shakes the walls with my current cab setup.

I keep everything flat on the "YBA 200" with the exception of the gain ,"I keep that on 4". When I turn the Master volume past 5 ,"it clips ,and distorts like crazy". Hope that helps.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well the tubes are laughable from what reviews are saying but I also don't think it was ever ment to be a squeeky clean amp like GK amps

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get a Marshall 4x12+4x15 Lemmy style. :bassist:

9. Ive a 1212 with the YBA200...and it shake the garage like the roof is gonna fly off to china while the master is only at 5-6. If you like it clear, Schroeder is for you..IMO of course, but many here at TB would agree with me.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd say any of the Bergantino NV series cabs would be awesome.

Tom.

11. I'm thinking about trading my brand new pre/power rig in for a YBA200. My plan was to run my SWR Golith Jr. III (2x10) and Son of Bertha (1x15). I hope this will work out. Just need to find a buyer for my stuff...EBAY

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'm thinking about doing this myself as well. The NV cabs are just ridiculous and from everything i've read on TB they are extra sweet with tube heads.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here's a bit of a surprise. It shouldn't have been, really, since they offer a mondo tube power amp, but on a whim I decided to try my YBA200 with the Phil Jones 6T/9B I just picked up off ebay.

Holy handgrenades, Batman! This combo rocks!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Those Phil Jones cabs sound seriously good with tube amps. They also love my SA200, of course. :D

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tom, let's swap last names. Gearhart (Gearwhore) vs. Bowlus; I think my last name suits you much better.

15. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I have said it before... but I really like the sound of the matching cab. I like having the best of 10's and 15's. I tend to turn off the tweeter and cut back on my lows and highs a bit on the amp. I find the amp sounds a little scooped at low volumes... but not at all for jam/gig volumes. I love the mids that this combo produces. I also keep my gain at 5-9 (depending on the output of the bass I am using) so that I get mild overdrive when I dig in hard. My two favorite tones from this amp are a big fat warm tone (fingerstyle, moderate overdrive, lay back on the highs), and all our rock crunch (about the same thing but roll back the highs less, push the power section hard, cut the lows a bit, and get on some fresh Rotosound roundwounds, and use a ric).

Try it out.. like everything in life... what is best is subjective. p.s. casters made moving the cab easy.

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    MIne sounds great with my Eden 410 but not so great with the Schroeder 1210.

17. Anybody tried one with any of the Accugroove cabs?

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    LOL! Not a bad idea! :D

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, and IME/IMHO, it sounds fantastic with the Whappo, Jr. I sold my El Whappo before I bought the YBA200, but from my previous experience, the EW doesn't behave as well as the Jr. with tube power amps.

Tom.