1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YBA200 vs. Trace AH1000SMX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeyB, Oct 9, 2006.

1. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    Does anybody have gigging experience with these two amps?

I'm basically wondering about the difference between the all-tube GROWL and the classic Trace GRIND when playing at gig volumes. Both seem to provide aggressive mids and punch - thoughts anyone?

I've been reading the YBA200 threads -extensively- and I'm still left wondering if I'll get enough mids for my liking even after all the literature about the tone-stack on this amp.

With the Trace, I kinda like the idea of putting a touch of my Fulltone Bassdrive in the High-Pass FX loop.

I play either a Fender Jazz or a Ric 4003 and like aggressive mids and a touch of overdrive.

Thanks!

2. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    bump...:oops:

3. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    <bump> <bump> ... is this on?

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I haven't played either of those, but I have an AH600SMX and it's the shizzle. Haven't once been disappointed by the tone or power or anything else, i usually have it fully on the tube pre-amp and it sounds great, really gives it that edge.

Hope that helps...

5. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    bump for November!

6. I can tell you that a Trace V4 is definately on par with the YBA-200, with the V4 having more agressive hi-mids and the YBA having more agressive low mids to bass. The V4 has more clean headroom too. However, I would rank any Trace hybrid/ss stuff a bit lower than their tube stuff (if you are going for that tubey sound) although it is still decent to say the least and very nice if you want a cleaner sound.

7. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I don't know what kind of sound you're looking for Mike, but I gigged one of these, with the matching YBX1510 cab, and I didn't find it particularly mid heavy, even after swapping preamp tubes. The tone did gain some mids by switching to an Avatar Delta 410 but still, not midrange heavy in my opinion but I like a lot of midrange in my tone. It's hard to compare what people say about these amps to what you want, you really should try to get your hands on one or the other if there's any possible way. If there isn't, try ebay so you don't have to buy new.

8. I solved the lack of mid mroblem by buying a $50 MXR EQ pedal. Just a little boost at 800Hz and 1Khz...problem solved.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021