Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YBA200 w/ XC808

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RevGroove, Jun 18, 2004.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    So I had a chance to check out the YBA200 with an XC808 cabinet today.

For those of you who were wondering...yes, it does sound as good as an Ampeg SVT Classic head and 8x10. And it weighs a heck of a lot less too.

I'll post a full review in the next couple of weeks once I have a chance to try it in rehearsals and live but for the short version:

yes, it handles the B string of a 5 string bass very well.

yes, it has great low end, though less growl than a 4x10 (that's a pro or a con, depending on the player)

yes, it can push a LOT of air...

yes, it sounds better than the 2 XC410s I prevously had the YBA200 hooked up to.

I want one...

2. sweet, howmuch does the xc808 weigh?

3. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    113 lbs/51 kg...

But do't go by the photo on the website ...

...they changed the design so that it has a handle on top and wheels on the bottom in the rear, so you can kick it back and roll it easily. Going up and down stairs would not be hard, lifting it with assistance would be fine as well.

4. My plan is to get the YBA200 + YBX1510. If i dont like that, which I bet you I will, I'll switch out the cab to a XC808. The only really doubt in my head about the YBA200 is it being too bright. Is it too bright or did that guy just say that because the impedances were mismatched. Did he ever try it again. I forget his name, it was in the "New Yorkville Tube Amp" thread.

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I can't remember...

...and to be honest, if you got a chance to A/B them, the XC808 sounds much better with the YBA200 than the YBX1510. Had to play it again today, sounds absolutely amazing...

6. All that holds me back is price/size/weight. I'm 15 and I dont know if I wanna be luggin around a 116 pound cab. Whats retail, and when will it hit the streets (the XC808)?

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hmm...the weight factor would be an issue all right...the XC808 should be out within the next 4 weeks or so, along with the XS800H head...pricing I'm still waiting to find out, I'll let you know!

8. Thanks RevGroove. You're good peoples. :D

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Aw, shucks.... :D