1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ye olde '76 Ibanez

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Boomer397, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Boomer397

Boomer397

Dec 9, 2006
    I recently received a 1976 Ibanez Silver Series bass. It's in great shape and puts out some great sound, but it has a buzzing problem. I just play the bass, I don't really have any idea how to fine-tune this thing (especially since it's been in a relatives attic for about 20 years) It buzzes a little on the E string (1st to 3rd or 4th fret) and buzzes quite a bit on the D string when I hammer on at about the 10th fret. What can I do to fix this?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It sounds to me like it just needs a good set up. New strings maybe, then adjust the height of the bridhe saddles, relief in the neck. Then see if anything else needs to be done.

If you haven't done this before and aren't confident in your ability to do it yourself, then take it to a competent tech. It should be a fairly quick job and not too expensive. Ask around your area and find someone who's good. Not all music store techs are good.

That's a nice bass and you should be able to get it sounding and playing great. It's worth putting a bit of money into it.

3. Boomer397

Boomer397

Dec 9, 2006
    thanks a lot
    I'll probably go later this week to get it set up.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You'll be amazed at how good it will sound. Those old Ibanez
    basses are great. They had the Fender MIJ contract as
    well back then iirc, and thye really put out some quality stuff.

5. Boomer397

Boomer397

Dec 9, 2006
    Well, I put 75 bucks into it to get it set up and put on a new set of regular Ernie Ball strings. It sounds so much better! Thanks for all your help.