1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yea or Nay on this recorded tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 6jase5, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I'd love to hear what you guys think of the tone of my bass (bleill consulting link below). Easiest to hear during verse 2 with just drums, vox and me. There is a little over all limiting on the track to be fair, but not professionally mastered yet.

Be honest, I don't care if you love or hate it, but constructive criticism about the tone is always more welcome.

I'm not going into the recording set up as I just want reactions.

http://bleillconsulting.com/shrewdlucy/Cantor_7_19_08-limited.mp3

2. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    The parts during the verse sound good, but during the chorus the bass just completely disappears.

3. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

For the most part, I think it sounds good like it is.

It is difficult to be critical of someone else's tone because tone is, in general, very subjective. However, since you have asked for constructive criticism, the only thing I would suggest is that I'd like to hear it a little warmer. It seems very tight/crisp and, while they may be what you're going for, I think with your style of music that a bit of warmth/fatness may add something well-fitting to the song.

The bass in this song is the a good example of what I'm talking about:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=W9XfryoSnIw

But, again, there is nothing wrong with it the way that you have it. I think you sound good and I envy you the position of fussing over minutia as you lay down tracks in the studio.

4. 6jase5

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    I love the audio slave tone, but with a pic I can't seem to get that warmth.

5. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    I'd say, If you like the tone, you like the tone. Doesn't sound bad. But nice tune man! You bringing out an album or what?

6. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I'm digging it. It burrows in nicely with the guit in the chorus, making one unified sound, then sits alone in the verse. So either way, it helps the song along and it sounds cool. Plus it's got enough of everything (lows, mids, highs) to be audbile on a variety of playback systems.

7. 6jase5

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    That recording was a one day event for everything - 4 songs, I played with the drummer, then we tracked guitars and vox on top.

Bob Ludwig protege will master (personal friend) so that will be key.

It's a fairly new band reworking a singer songwriter's acoustic stuff to make it rock and slowly re record the new music as we go along and have the resources (which means, ahem, friends with free studios).

If you happen to stumble on the website, its all older stuff he did on his mac - no actual bass, just his martin acoustic detuned....serious garage recording!!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021