Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yeah im new to picks...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boxerblues58, Sep 29, 2002.

1. . Yeah i've been learning the bass since april and im doing pretty good except i have no idea on how to use a pick or when to use one. So whatever just kinda help me out if you can... :confused:

2. moweezil

moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    Picks aren't nessecary, unless maybe your playing punk:rolleyes: Even then it's not a must. I play alot of punk and find it easier to play "straight eights" that way. Some people can use thier fingers faster, I dunno though.
    For you, I would recommend that you get as comfortable with your fingers as possible, then, play around a litte with a pick. If you don't like it, throw it on the ground and stomp on it, but if you do, use it. Whatever you think sounds and feels the best.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, wrong forum. it's pickUPS. Just play with a pick if you want to. grip it with your index and thumb finger. leanr up strokes as well as downstrokes. and remwember, a good finger tone, might not be a pleaseing pick tone.

4. Yep, wrong forum. It's headed for Technique.

Rock on
    Eric

5. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    I definitely prefer to play fingerstyle, but I'm much faster with a pick. I don't really know what to say except start out playing straight eighths, first using all downstrokes and then alternate picking.

6. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    I went the other way, started with picks and am playing with finger picking more and more.

With picks I find it very easy to keep to the rhythm. One of the main things is to get a pick thickness you're comfortable with, .84mm works well for me...

My terminology is a bit dodgy, but for doubles (2 notes to one beat) I was recommended to go down stroke and up stroke, for triplets down-up-down even if you have 2 in a row (down-up-down down-up-down) which can take a little practice to get straight, its to keep the emphasis on the first of the 3, and quadruplets of course down-up-down-up.

Can be a bit easier to hold the pick short for the quicker notes for better control.

Quite useful to have both, broke a bone in my hand but could play away with a pick while it was in a cast (did my first gig that way).

Hope that helps!!
    Kev.