1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yeah im new to picks...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by boxerblues58, Sep 29, 2002.

1. . Yeah i've been learning the bass since april and im doing pretty good except i have no idea on how to use a pick or when to use one. So whatever just kinda help me out if you can... :confused:

2. moweezil

moweezil

Dec 2, 2001
    Picks aren't nessecary, unless maybe your playing punk:rolleyes: Even then it's not a must. I play alot of punk and find it easier to play "straight eights" that way. Some people can use thier fingers faster, I dunno though.
    For you, I would recommend that you get as comfortable with your fingers as possible, then, play around a litte with a pick. If you don't like it, throw it on the ground and stomp on it, but if you do, use it. Whatever you think sounds and feels the best.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, wrong forum. it's pickUPS. Just play with a pick if you want to. grip it with your index and thumb finger. leanr up strokes as well as downstrokes. and remwember, a good finger tone, might not be a pleaseing pick tone.

4. Yep, wrong forum. It's headed for Technique.

Rock on
    Eric

5. hayngman

hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    I definitely prefer to play fingerstyle, but I'm much faster with a pick. I don't really know what to say except start out playing straight eighths, first using all downstrokes and then alternate picking.

6. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    I went the other way, started with picks and am playing with finger picking more and more.

With picks I find it very easy to keep to the rhythm. One of the main things is to get a pick thickness you're comfortable with, .84mm works well for me...

My terminology is a bit dodgy, but for doubles (2 notes to one beat) I was recommended to go down stroke and up stroke, for triplets down-up-down even if you have 2 in a row (down-up-down down-up-down) which can take a little practice to get straight, its to keep the emphasis on the first of the 3, and quadruplets of course down-up-down-up.

Can be a bit easier to hold the pick short for the quicker notes for better control.

Quite useful to have both, broke a bone in my hand but could play away with a pick while it was in a cast (did my first gig that way).

Hope that helps!!
    Kev.