Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yeah, it's another 'I got a new bass' thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Jan 12, 2002.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I picked up a Peavey B-Quad tonight. I put money down on it some time ago, but it's been at the shop (needed a new chip on the pre-amp, I'm told.) And they cleaned it up and set it up.

In a word: WOW.
    There are a few B-Quad owners on here, right?

Really nice bass. It's transparent green with gold hardware. Looks really great. It sounds incredible.
    I LOVE blending the piezos in.
    I'm playing it through an SWR Workingman's 15 - rumbling lows and beautiful highs. You've heard it all before, I'll spare ya.

A little history: This one is a prototype, I'm told. No serial number, and an early build by the guys who designed it. (I can't recall their names off hand. Not Bromberg. The guy from Parker.)
    What exactly does it mean to have a prototype? Anything? Good? Bad?

I've got that New Bass High, and a Sunday full of nothing to do but thump away. This is a good weekend.

Tonight I will sleep the sleep of the righteous, dreaming of the graphite weave.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Companies build prototypes to experiment with various features of until they arrive at a final version which they then mass-produce. Having a prototype can be good if it's a version that's similar to the final product or better; otherwise, it's no big deal.

I used to have a B-Quad fretless. It was sweet and I miss it. One thing i didn't like was the lower horn. I'd feel it jab into my leg when I played it in a sitting position. Everything else was fine.

Congrats on the new bass!

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have heard a lot of good stuff about these basses. I would really like to get ahold of one to try out some day, but that probably won't happen unless I buy one.:(

Anyway, congrats on the new bass. Have fun with it.:D

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Exactly. That's my Conklin story right there.

Also my B-Quad story, my PBC story, my Zon story...

...You get the picture.

5. Wasn't the B-quad origianlly designed by Bob Mick? If you got one of his basses it is probably considerably better built that ones coming off the peavey construction line. I always really liked the sounds from these basses though I thought the aesthetics were a little questionable.

-Chris

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't think BM made prototypes for Peavey. Even if they were produced by a luthier, Mass producers need in-house made prototypes to ease manufacturing. I'm sure some of the early instruments were "training" models...

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats. sounds like a cool bass.