1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yeah...that'll never happen

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe this isn't the right attitude to have, but I'm sure we all have a few musical aspirations that will likely never come to fruition. We'll say, to give this thread a little direction, this would be related to making an album or forming a group of some kind. Something that has either been elusive for you thus far, or you just know that in your wildest dreams it could never happen. Without further ado...

Since my mother was very anti-rock music when I was young, the majority of what I heard in the car was the "golden oldies" radio station, think 50's and 60's doo wop or pop music like early Beatles, Beach Boys, or Elvis. It was all I had to listen to, so I enjoyed it. Even when I got older and was sporting a Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam t-shirt, I would secretly listen to my oldies MP3s. Haven't really found musicians in my "stage of life" that are interested in playing such music, the closest I got was disguising it as Indie music. So onto my unattainable aspiration!

I really dug some of the songs, and the concept, of Billy Joel's album An Innocent Man. While it was poppy music, songs on there like Uptown Girl and For The Longest Time are new tracks in that sort of style that I grew up with. Since I can't go back and be a bassist in the 50's, cutting an album with Billy Joel (or anyone passionate for that style) producing it would be a dream come true for me. I can't say I'd know the best people to play on it with me, but I feel like the whole experience would be amazing. Ideally, playing it on the road with a full band would also be great. I'm talking backup singers, maybe some brass instrument players...the works. Of course after doing that, I'd probably want to hit a few more genres (60's-70's music like late Beatles, the Byrds, Lovin Spoonful, etc.)

How about you, ladies and gents? Any pie in the sky musical dreams that you are seeing as highly unlikely...or how about anyone who had such an aspiration and then succeeded?

2. From my perspective, getting heavy doses of Beatles, Beach Boys, and Elvis as a child was an excellent pop music education.

That Billy Joel album is one of his high water marks, for sure (along with The Stranger and Glass Houses). Forget the Christie Brinkley influence (he was head over heels for her at the time, and that was the inspiration for a lot of those songs), those are classics. "Uptown Girl" is about as close to The Four Seasons as I've ever heard a pop artist come, great song and production values. If you wanted to make records like those, you would want Phil Ramone producing, but he passed a few years ago. I'll bet Billy could do a heck of a job too.

nixdad and Plucky The Bassist like this.
  3. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Most of my musical aspirations have been pie-in-the-sky, to be honest. Not only am I barely mediocre in about every music-related talent and skill I possess, but my life paths have just not gelled with "going all out", as it were.

That being said... My dream would be to be in a successful and famous rock-n-roll or soul outfit with other-worldly harmonies and song-writing. Something along the lines of Eagles or CSN&Y. Either guitar or bass would be fine. It's just that the harmonies and songwriting have to be well above par for even well-established and/or well-known acts.

I say 'successful and famous', because at this point in my life I have way too much to lose and sacrifice to try to put together or join anything more than a small regional hobby band. Risking everything I do have for stardom, only to gain nothing but ego points, is not worth chasing any 'dream', AFAIC.

EDIT: Oh yeah. That, and the fact that putting together a project with a good singer with stand out tone and sound, much less several of them, for me at this point is pie-in-the-sky.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Dream On.

dbbltime likes this.
  5. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I think Aerosmith already wrote that one

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sort of off topic but related:
    There was a period of time in my childhood when we were driving a lot. We had a few Beatles 8 track cassettes which I heard hundreds of times probably. A few years later I began playing bass and it took me a few years to really develop my ears.

Later as a fully fledged musician I felt like I could play many of those Beatles songs and probably knew them note for note. Time and time again I’ve been proven wrong due to the disconnect of my non-musician mind to my musically trained mind. There’s a constant mix-up between ii and IV chords, iii and vi chords, etc. My muddled memory of the songs probably hinders me more than it helps me...and of course nobody plays the arrangements correctly so..

7. My close h.s. pal wanted to be a pro bass player. I borrowed a guitar from my uncle just to play along, but I gave it back to my uncle after the Summer of getting nowhere on it.
    This pal, he went to Hollyweird at the end of school, bound & determined to MAKE IT after going through the Summer bass camp with someone famous. I can't even recall who the instructor was now, but it must have been a Thrash Metal person.

Anyway, he came back disgusted with the music business enough for all 4 of us.
    I hear he's playing again now, many many years later, but is a real estate agent in his day job.

Back then I never dreamed of playing, my mother was down on the whole thing from the beginning & wouldn't even think about helping me get lessons.
    Cut to now & my family is no different. People leave the room if they know I'm about to play bass.

However, I have basically accomplished my micro-dream of being able to amuse myself with some tasty licks when the mood arises.
    Just this past Saturday I sat here thumping through some old familiar riffs & reminded myself that it's fun to play!

8. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    One day I would like to be noticed. That would be cool. Or maybe it wouldn't be all that great. I don't know.

9. It's never too late to try ... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

But, even more than that, I AM trying. I've had some various original music ideas floating around in my head for a looooong time. Decades. I always let other people's projects get in the way. Not too long ago, I decided I was going to just do it. I quit all the various bands I was playing with at the time, and started to pursue those ideas. Once I figured out how to get out of my own way (perfectionistic ideals), it started happening. To date, I've finished one recording project (instrumental funk/rock), have the music written for a second that needs to be recorded yet (Baroque string quartets), and have just started writing for a massive progressive rock project that was the original inspiration for all of this.

A dream doesn't have to remain just a dream. If you really want to do it, make it happen.

10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I played in bar bands in my youth. Kinda wanted to be a rock star. Not enough to give uo the day job and pursue it, of course, but in the back of my mind.

Nowadays, I play in churches, with musicians of a caliber I never experienced in my youth (including me - I’m much better as a musician than I ever was before.) We’re volunteers, we play to crowds much bigger than any of the bars around here, and there’s no egos.

I have my dream gig - I was never smart enough to have the right dream in my youth, but... this is definitely it.

11. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I actually lived my dream for about 15 years on a local level. I played with some great local musicians, opened for touring bands like Canned Heat and a few others and was the bassist for WC Handy award winning bluesman Louisiana Red once. It was an absolute blast for a long time. But yeah, that'll never happen again.

12. I was at Newport Jazz Fest this summer watching the sound guys 'n' gals do their awesome work and I remembered that, 35-40 years ago sound engineering/production was the work I wanted to do. Parents would have none of it and I didn't have the stones or vision to make it happen on my own.

jamro217 likes this.
  13. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    After a 25 year hiatus, I'm in the process of putting together a really good jump blues band. We have the talent and about 2/3 of a big list ready. Great people, great music, I'm living the dream. Of course we are all old guys, so gigging again will probably kill us all. :)

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you get any gigs, PM me. Been gigging in the Boston blues scene for a long time, I'm always checking out new bands.

RoadRanger and kobass like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

doesn't look i'll ever have a "national hit" recording. i had an "almost" in my youth and several commended attempts in the jazz world. but i've never had a real hit record...and now i'm old. i'd settle for "viral." :laugh:

saabfender and covermego like this.
  16. I just want to put a set list together for busking (guitar) and learn enough jazz standards to join low key jam sessions (bass). I have been stagnant over the last months as life keeps happening. However, motivation brewing so these seem attainable. ...not intending to derail the thread!

17. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I grew up listen to big band stuff . That's all the parents listened to . I starting making music on alto sax . I was into Charlie Parker and bop stuff as a kid . Then Miles went electric and Hendrix hit the scene and everything changed . First time I heard Harvey Brooks I gave up sax and picked up bass. Never really cared about becoming a rock star . Just dig making music with folks . Now at 63 I just play in blues bands with different friends . Got to jam with famous guys quit a few times over the years . One good thing about California . Most of those rock guys from the 60's and 70's are very approachable and willing to jam .
    Happy just making music now .

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    TrevorR and neuman like this.
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    My parents divorced when I was 7 so I rarely saw my father. I;m the oldest of 4 boys so I had to help my mother take care of my brothers. Shortly after the divorce, my father remarried and had 3 more kids. My mother always had music playing in the house and was always very supportive of my music. When I was in my 20s, my father told me to give up on music because I would never amount to anything. It wasn't just music. Whenever I saw him, he would put my brothers and I down. He was an abusive alcoholic who never did much with his life. I feel that I succeeded far beyond anything that my father could have ever imagined. I earned a Bachelor's Degree, graduated cum laude, was inducted into The International Honor Society, The National Society For Leadership and Success and became a member of the high IQ Society Mensa. I have spent much of the last 20 years as a touring musician and now do music for several television shows including American Pickers on The History Channel and The Deed on CNBC. I also spent some time as a vice president and director at a billion dollar bank. I have a brother who became a successful Intellectual Property Attorney and another who became a successful contractor and works on multi-million dollar projects. Not bad considering my father basically abandoned my mother and left her with 4 sons and no means of support. We grew up living on welfare in the projects.

19. Of course, in my twenties, I dreamed of being a rock star and making it big. I got a taste of road life around that time working stages for fairs and festivals and the like up through my thirties and forties. I watched the artists, realizing that for the most part, it wasn't what I thought it was, probably just lots if miles, and hotel rooms, and repetition. So after I got to my early 30s, I was married and realized it wasn't going to happen, and that I wasn't really disappointed either. As I got older, I came to the conclusion that if I was in a good band, with people I liked playing with, and who was popular and people wanted to come out and enjoy, then I had made it.

But I always wanted to play Madison Square Garden, and yeah, that ain't gonna happen...

BnB

20. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    The idea of making a small profit, or even just breaking even, on an album-length release of original music used to be a goal of mine.

I was hoping that a small-budget, initial investment (paying the musicians, tracking, mixing, mastering, and distributing) could net just enough money to do the next project. And so on, and so on.

If it was ever possible before, I don't think it is now. I think very few people under 30 years old seriously entertain the idea of paying for recorded music ("Why should I pay for an album download? Bands make their money off of gigs and tee shirt sales!") and the stuff I want to doesn't exactly have mass appeal to begin with.

I know people who have done it, but they had either an investor (or investors), or their own trust fund, or had well paying corporate jobs to finance their vanity projects.

Oh, I'll still write music, but spending money to record it isn't going to happen unless I win the lottery.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018