Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yeah

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Loganbassman, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Loganbassman

Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    What type of strings would be a good match for a rock/punk-rock band. The reason i ask is because the strings i use now sound a little too thin and weak when it comes out of my amp. What do most people use for this type of music.

2. What kind of strings are you using now? Just askin. But I am going to give my standard string response to you. D'Addario Slowounds are my favorite. They are pretty easy on the fingers, and great low and high end to them. I would also say stay away from Ernie Ball Slinkys. I wasted $20 on em. I hated the feel, not to mention the hollow tinny sound. I say slowounds are the best. Oh, and shop around for them, some stores sell them for $40, i guess they are marketing the "higher quality" than standard D'Addario XL strings. But, you should really pay no more than $20 for them. Hope I helped.

3. Loganbassman

Loganbassman

Mar 31, 2001
    I'm not sure what kind of strings i have now. I recently got a new bass, Ibanez G-series, and i'm not sure what the standard strings they gave me were. But thanks for the suggestion il go and check it out.

4. This week, out of sheer boredom, i put my Ernie Ball strings back on the bass, and i liked them! I couldnt believe it. I think that they may have a bit more of a punky tone than the slowounds. Again, the slowounds were easier on the fingers, but the ernies were nice too. They are a thicker gauge, and they had more tension than my slowounds, and i liked that a lot. I had a problem with the thin strings hitting the frets all the time, and the higher gauge fixed that problem. I would like to try out a high gauge set of slowounds, which will most likely be my next string purchase.