1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Year of Ampeg SVT 8x10 bass cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 24stringbass, Mar 8, 2008.

1. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    I can't decipher the meager info I've found on serial numbers for Ampeg bass cabinets. I just got an SVT 8x10 at a moving sale, serial number 53211. Any info helpful and appreciated, thanks.

2. Take a speaker out, the date will be on the back of it. If it is square (the cab) it is older than the towel rack cabs and is 70's. Blue grille cloth is all of 70's, 69-79, black is 80's and on. Metal insignia A also older, early 70's.

3. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    It has the sloped top, towel rack, the grille cloth is bluish tint w/ velcro corners, metal "A," CTS speaker # 137 7339, MFG. # 181009, Serial # 53211. Sticker on front bottom of cab says its service address was in Linden N.J. Speaker jack is missing and appears to have been just a 1/4 inch. Can you date precisely from speaker numbers, and if so, which set? There're a few seperate bunches of numbers on the back. Thanks so much.

4. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like early/mid 70's - it's a keeper. I'm currently looking for the same exact cab...

5. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    Thanks all for great help. The maufacturer's sticker is so worn you can barely read it. The wattage appears to read 300 or 800 watts? I would think it would be 800; I could be wrong. It is a 4 ohm unit. Thanks, again.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    It's 300. Those are great great speakers, BTW. That's what I have in mine. Got them reconed a few months ago and they blow away these super power handling SVT speakers.

7. sgfender85

sgfender85

Sep 10, 2005
    Keep us posted on how everything works out for you. I just picked up an identical cab. Mine as 72' with the CTS drivers. I dont have an amp for it yet so Im real curious on how these old monsters work.

8. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    It sounds pretty fab, being pushed by Yorkville Bassmaster 400xs. Plenty o' punch 'n snap.:hyper:

9. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Call LOUD Tech. and ask.

10. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The 137 = CTS
    The 73 =1973
    The 39 =39th week of that year

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Screw LOUD. PM Jerrold Tiers, the resident Ampeg guru. Jerrold is an invaluable source for Ampeg information.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    How much did you pay for this thing?

13. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    I may have gotten my once-in-a-lifetime deal on this. My gf talked me into going to a moving sale. The folks were selling the 73 cab w/ a busted jack and a Peavey Mark III head for $75. I know. I ended up getting rid of all the old carpet covering, staining the cab a dark brown (still haven't recovered), and putting in a new jack. It's really wonderful.