1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Year of Fender jazz bass body. Read on.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakobian13, Mar 19, 2010.

1. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Here is my issue. I had liong ago bought a couple of basses. In 1969 I bought the P bass,some time afterwards I got the Jazz and took the P neck and put it on the jazz body. I had it rewired to accomodate to input jacks. Hence the pots etc. are not original. The body weighs an awful lot. I am enclosing pictures that may glean some insight into this body. I must have bought the body about twenty five years ago,it has two holes underneath the neck plate. These have never been used for anything. Someone suggested a three bolt on neck. I dont think so,looks like an adjustment.
    I hope the pix will shed some light.
    Kind Regards
    Jake

2. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thought you could load five pictures ...

3. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Last two

Attached Files:

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It clearly DID have a 3 bolt neck originally. That 4th hole was the micro-tilt adjustment hole. The body is from around 1974, if the pickguard is original. IIRC, 3 bolt necks started in '73 or '74, and the tort guard was replaced by black sometime in '75.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    About 20 years ago I did a 3 Hole to 4 Hole conversion on my fretless Jazz. That's what it is.

6. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Three bolt necks on Jazz basses started in mid- 1975.
    The paint stick mark in the neck pocket should help narrow down the year of manufacture. I'm guessing '75 or '76.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No, it was late '74.

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Fender continued to make 4 bolt Jazz necks until mid 1975.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That may be, but it's not what you originally said, and it's irrelevant to this discussion. According to 'The Fender Bass' book, three bolt Jazzes started in late '74, and it's a 3 bolt Jazz body we're walking about here.

10. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    I have a 100% original 70's Jazz. The pickups and pots are dated 74. The neck is dated January 75. The neck plate number indicates 75. It's a 4 bolt.

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yep, you're going to see this with the bigger companies. They still had plenty of 4 bolt bodies and necks in the stock room when they started making the 3 bolt parts. If they waited till ran out of parts, that they would have had to stop production until the new parts were cured and finished, and that makes no sense business-wise. There was no single date that you can say the 4 bolts stopped and the 3 bolts began.

12. jakobian13

jakobian13

Mar 19, 2010
    San Francisco
    Unfortunately I don't have the jazz neck anylonger. I am almost positive that it was a four bolt neck as I have always had a problem with the three bolt necks and cant imagine I would have bought one. I have been looking around to see if I have any pictures of the two original basses. When I said 25 years,I meant 35 years. Time flies,that would place it at 1975 when I got the jazz and it was used at the time. After reading the comments and looking at the pictures,this certainly appears to be the body with the neck adjustment used on the three bolt neck. The bosy on this bass is very clean for the age,unfortunately I was not thinking of the vintage factor thirty five years ago and had it routed inside to accomodate two input jacks ( both passive ) .
    Everything is original except the pots and volume/tone controls which I have around here somewhere.The idea being that with the controls standing out from the body you can adjust the tone and volume while playing,you cant do that with the low black knobs.Dont have the pots unfortunately.