Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

year2000 fender jazz knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superphat, Nov 17, 2003.

1. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    help guys...
    i'm looking at this used fender MIA jazz bass, and the knobs look weird to me... can't remember seeing knobs like that on a recent model jazz bass before.
    anybody else have a 2000 or 20001 jazz bass with these knobs? i know some recent MIM basses had these knobs... hmm... fishy? or am i being paranoid?

thanks guys~

[​IMG]

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    [​IMG]

3. A description would be helpful if you would like our input.

Are they plastic or metal? What color are they?

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    hmmm... i had posted pictures... somehow they got deleted... that's weird, they were up here for a day or so... maybe they were too big...?

i will try to repost.

they are the white knobs with the numbers on them. like strat knobs.

thanks treena~

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    pic (again)

[​IMG]

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    pic2

[​IMG]

7. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Weird...

Those styled knobs are usually only found on the cheaper models, MIM and below.

I reckon the guy bought them to match the pickguard...but hmm....It doesnt even have a chrome control plate:meh:

To tell you the truth, i reckon there's a chance it could be a $50 bass, with a MIA neck.

8. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I have a 96 or 97 MIM PBass bought new with the exact same knobs. Hope that helps.

9. I've never seen these knobs on a Jazz bass before. :meh:

However, you can puchase new replacement knobs:meh:HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You've never looked at a MIM Jazz bass then. They used to all have those Strat style knobs, and even now most do. On my 1995 Jazz bass one of the first mods I did was buy traditional Jazz Bass knobs.

That is the cheapest MIM Jazz bass ever produced, the "Traditional" Jazz Bass, made in the late 90s. Easily recognizable by its lack of a chrome cover plate. I can't comment on the "MADE IN USA" on the headstock. To my knowledge Fender never made a jazz bass with that pickguard in the USA.

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    exactly,
    very unique pickguard/control plate and fishy knobs.

i think i've seen some older MIA jazz basses (early 80s maybe?) with the strat style knobs also... but definitely not any recent MIA models.

weird... either a scam as Slot said, or a weird model from the 80s is my guess. i guess i could go over to the fender forum and ask, but at this point, i don't really care THAT much anymore.
    :D

just wondering if anybody else has one like this...

12. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Also weird is the truss rod access. Usually the MIA fenders have a space at the other end of the neck to adjust it. This one has the adjustment at the headstock like MIM's or MIJ's.

13. Why would I? I own the real deal, all but 3 of my fenders are MIA.

I said I have never seen this on a jazz bass, if you read my post!

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    something is most deffinitely screwed up here. even the pickguard is single ply cheap...nothing fender would EVER put on an american. i own a 2000 fender american jazz deluxe. is there a possibility the old decal was sanded off and re applied an american deacl with 2001 vin numbers?

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Looks like a parts bass. MIA neck trussrods adjust at the bottom of the neck and not at the headstock. The pickguard looks like the type they used around the early 80's on MIA jazz basses. I think those knobs where also used on those basses. The neck is MIM. MIA fenders have serial #'s on the back of the headstock not the front.

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you look close it says Made In USA. This is pretty confusing. The serial number on the neck Z1... indicates it was made in 2001 (Z for the milennium) Ive never seen a pickgaurd like that but the knobs are definitely the style Fender started using in the late 70s and early 80s. The information I have is from the book "Fender: An Illustrated History" That pickgaurd is not in the book anywhere but those knobs were fairly typical or standard by the early 80s. Im curious about the neck plate on the back. Does the label at the end of the headstock say "American Traditional?" From what I can see the strap buttons are MIM type and not the Schaller straplock compatible type found on new MIA basses. Very interesting instrument. Its probably a parts bass like phrohr said. How much is the asking price?

17. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    metron, the asking price is $520 but the point is moot now, cuz i'm definitely passing on this bass!

too many oddities...

and yes it does say "american traditional"

:confused:

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I was looking more in the Fender book I have. I saw a very similar bass in the 1983 catalog. It had the same full plastic pickgaurd on the jazz bass. I bet this bass is an 84 or 85. The book talks about basses of these years being very different because they were putting them together out of leftover stock before CBS sold the company in 85 to Bill Schultz, the current president. I do think that $520 would be a bit much for the bass though. I probably would pass on it too. Just thought I would post this info in case someone wanted to know. :)

Edit: the serial number is the most confusing part. Z was a designation for the millennium but in the 80s the numbers started with E...

20. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks for the info metron
    i kinda suspected it to be an early 80s... if it wasn't a squier or no-name fake.

but there's still that issue of the Z1 serial number which would be incompatible with an 80s bass... definitely a parts bass, i guess. 80s body, 01 neck?