Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yeeee hawwww

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JWC, Apr 7, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    JWC's gonna be doing the country music thing this summer. Yep, my first band was country back in themid 90s, I played drums for a short, short period of time. Well, I'm taking the name, and putting together a new line up as a side project for a few shows this summer. Where are some good sites (instructional or tabulature) for playing country. I haven't the foggiest idea what a good country bassist needs to do. Other than stand there half asleep :)
    and keep in mind, the type country we will do is Nelson/Jennings/Williams. Jr. type country, and not really the new country out there.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I would first file my frets before doing anything.
    Doc

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    are you just trying to get to me today? yes, i wil file them since you said so.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Sorry, JWC, sometimes you just light my candle. Actually, if I knew you, you would probably crack me up. Have a brewsky on me tonight. Good luck with your country gig.
    Doc

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You can't get by just pedaling on the E string if you're gonna do Willie and Waylon. Also, if you don't have a fiddle in the band, you ain't country anyway.

Of course if you can find someone to play bass, I'm sure you can be playing the fiddle in no more than a day or two.

I happen to play a lot of country and you are about to find out that us sleepy looking bassists are playing some stuff that you wont pick up in a week or two.

Keep us informed on your progress. It should be hilarious.

Pkr2 (your basic, half asleep
    bassist)

6. So country heh? you gonna sit in a rocking chair with a double barrel shotgun?? chew tobacco and spit it in a metal bucket during songs???

Merls

*wanders off* "Billy jean, billy bawb, billy sue, we're going hunting for some ChICken!" lolol

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    hmm... I just finished with 9 years of playing country and if you sit there and play root 5th all night long then well I guess you get what you deserve. You really can make it alot more interesting than that. I know I played more walking bass in my country band than I do in my rock band. I am glad to hear that you are playing more of the older stuff than the new pop country crap. There is a CD out that's about 6 or 7 years out by Marc O'conner called The New Nashville cats. anybody that puts down country players should check that one out before opening their mouths. BTW Mr. Victor Wooten plays on a couple of tracks on that CD.
    Have fun with it JWC!

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    like i said, any websites or tips????

9. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    New country isn't country if you ask me anyway, its just pop. And alot of the new country is silly, like that kiss my rosy red lips song by Aaron Tippin, or Earl Had To Die, by the Dixie Chicks, etc. Williams Jr. sang about killing a man who got out of jail on a technicality for killing his family.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man i recently went to a country western church to try out for a paying gig because i was bored to death! I got up there and never heard any of the songs that they told me about! At first they were suprised that i could figure the songs out the first time we played them! I was like really? They are mostly just really really boring ass blues! So i thought id get creative and through some old blues fills and lines in the songs! Some old fart that set behind me playing guitar said hey buddy just play what you are supposed to play! Soooo what i did to piss him off is we did some stupied ass hank song and this guitar player played some lame ass gyuitar solo in it so at the next break i played the same solo on bass but added a little funk to it! They asked me to leave! If you want to do somthing to make your talent better dont play that country crap! Ive been a jazz instructor and play4ed in a funk rock band for about 20 years now and i just couldnt take it!

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    What in the hell kind of church plays Hank Williams? I want in!!!!

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ahh i wondering who would ask that!hehe they put on country shows on the weekends!

13. Cb56, that album is awesome, I've had it for a couple of years and damn near worn it out!
    Listen to anything with Emory Gordy Jnr, or Roy Huskey Jnr, for great older style country bass. Both played with Emmylou Harris, and plain old root-five they are not! Well, they are, but they throw in all these amazing fills and kicks.

14. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    In defense of the 'root-five' I've heard one player sound like a mind-numbing mud pie and the next one sound like a precision-tuned jack hammer!
    I found that I preferred good R-5 to 8th note plectrum so-called 'rock'. Whatever blows your skirt!!!

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JWC, try to learn the Nashville number system. Bass Player had a workshop on it a while back...maybe a year or two. They really do use the system here, because my neighbor drums for a well known young country singer. I've seen his charts and they use the Nashville numbers...a method of easily transposing keys. Once you know the system, you can get hold of country music charts or sheet music. That will help you some.

Bassbooks.com sells a book about country bass playing. I forget the name...something like "The Lost Art of Country Bass Playing." There is also at least one video of country bass playing. Bassbooks.com may also have that.

Third, a famous Nashville country bass player has a regular workshop in Bass Player. Check their web site. Their search engine represents major suckitude, but you may get lucky and find the workshop anyway.

What else? It isn't only the bass line, that makes your sound authentic. Bass Player had a feature article a couple years ago about the top Nashville session bass players. Most double on electric and double bass. If you can just find that back issue, buy it, because it is a treasure chest of equipment from strings to amps to basses essential for the country "sound".

Lastly, listen to Vince Gill records. He surrounds himself with top notch country musicians. Listen to what his bass player does.

Good luck. I HATE country music, but I have tremendous respect for country musicians. Many are incredibly talented, hard working and country musicians are amazingly charitable, helping out willingly in many of Nashville's causes.

jason oldsted

16. Boplicity

OK, I checked. The two Nashville bass players who have had workshops at Bass Player magazine are Dave Hungate and David Pomeroy. Unfortunately, not all their workshops are present.

The book on country bass playing is "The Lost Art of Country Bass Playing" by Keith Rosier and comes with a CD. I think the set is about $18 plus shipping and handling. That might be your best bet, given the sparse nature of articles online at Bass Player.com.

I KNOW there is a country bass video, but I can't find it. I'll dig around some more. If I come across it, I'll post it here.

http://www.bassbooks.com

jo

17. Boplicity

I had good luck and found TWO country bass videos.

Today's Country Bass Styles (Volume I), John Reid. $29.95

Today's Country Bass Styles (Volume II), Ed Marsh,
    $29.95

You can find these videos at:

http://www.musicvideo.com/tmvbass.html

jo