YEEEHAAAA! I picked out a song!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 17, 2002.

1. I recently transcribed the CKY song:"96 quiet bitter beings". I'm so proud. Does anybody else resort to personally transcribing, or do you like to get TaBz, or sheet music?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Are you kidding? I rarely resort to anything other than personally transcribing songs. Classical pieces I play are a different matter, but if you're talking popular music (and to a lesser extent Jazz) - yeah, transcribing is pretty much the only way I do it. For one, I'm usually fairly cynical of other people's transcriptions (that's all it is, usually - when you see the published sheet music for a song/album, it's still only someone's transcription of it) - I've seen plenty with mistakes in. Also, I can't afford to go out buying sheet music by the ton, and I find it faster to transcribe by ear anyway. And it's great ear training. And, no, I wouldn't use tabs. I completely fail to see the advantage.

All in all - transcribing songs yourself is great. Don't stop. And don't just do bass lines - work out the chords, solos, drum parts, etc. etc. Work out what makes the songs tick. Listen carefully and sensitively. And keep doing it, transcribe your entire CD collection. Don't stop until you can listen to Aja straight through once, and write down all the chords ;)
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Transcribing is a very important skill to practise for a number of reasons, including:

- tabs and sheet music are often not available (at least not for the songs I've been trying to learn over the last few months)

- reliable tabs and sheet music are even rarer...

- Doing it yourself drills the song much deeper into your memory

- You can get a feel for the subtleties of the performance that might become lost in some form of notation

- You can hear how the bassline fits with the rest of the song (and if your band is a different lineup, you can make judgements about what you need to adjust to make it work)

Above all, it will greatly improve your listening skills - not only will you become better at transcribing but also better at hearing what others are doing and turning the line you hear in your head into something that can be played by your fingers in a live situation.

4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    BTW, Terry - well done on getting the first tune done. There's still a long journey ahead, but at least you've made it out the door :)

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Terry, I'm just kind of curious. How did you transcribe the song? Did you work it out in standard notation or in tab?

Either way, however, congratulations on transcribing what is the first of hundreds of songs to come. You are already light years ahead of many musicians who never can seem to transcribe any song.
  6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Right on, man. Keep it up. Learning songs by ear is excellent training for your development as a musician. If you didn't do it already, try writing it all down in standard notation now.
  7. umm....I don't know standard notation yet.:oops: I'm learning.
  8. Actually, this is not my first. It is my first song that is remotely complex. My first was nothing impressive, just the main riff to Queen's "Under pressure", still a good feeling though.:)