Yeesh, Some People Need to Learn to Drive(semi-rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Melf, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I got behind one of the worst drivers that I've ever seen today on the way home from picking up my little brother at school. He must have been at least 60 and was in a FedEx truck. I first saw him stopped in the middle of my lane delivering a package. I thought, "no problem." So I just waited and we got rolling a few minutes later. Cut to another road two minutes later: I don't know what the hell he's doing. He speeds up to 30 or so and then slams to a stop at every mailbox for five consecutive mailboxes or so. I start getting a little agitated, but it's ok, because I don't really have anywhere to go. Finally, he stops for a good minute in front of a mailbox. He doesn't get out of the truck, but I think to myself, "Well he must just be getting the package. He's in the middle of my lane again, but there's no one coming so I'll pass him." As soon as I pull beside him and start accelerating, he veers as hard as he can to the left. No turn signal. No warning :mad: He didn't bother to check his mirrors or look behind to make sure nothing was coming either!:mad: At this point I'm right in his blind spot so there's no stopping. I stomp on the gas and bring it to the brink of redline in first gear, managing to get past him with about an inch of space between my car and his on the right side and even less than an inch of clearance in between the left side of my car and a brick mailbox.:eek: I swear, people need to get retested for their driver's license at age 50 or something. Most old people just cannot drive:mad:
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Try driving in Boston! or New York for that matter. The world is full of dumbass drivers. Why do you think there is so much road rage?

I love living in the middle of nowhere! Streets are dead after 10:00pm

Maybe your right, they should be re-tested after a certain age. But, would you want to be re-tested?
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Not counting the physical defects following older age (such as worsened eyesight and lowered reaction speed), younger people are generally worse drivers than older. They are more reckless, and lack the necessary experience to handle reckless driving!

Of course, there are always exceptions. Some people shouldn't have a license at all, doesn't matter what age they are.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have either of you guys spent any time driving in Florida?

I think the TB Floridians will back me up when I say you haven't seen bad driving untill you've lived in Florida.

More dumb drivers per capita than anywhere else in the US, major city or not.
  5. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    originally posted by Joe Turski
    Yes, I would.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...a tuft of blue-ish hair and a pair of hands is all you can see sometimes.

And if it's not that, it's a tourist in a rental car that has no clue where they're going. I mean, I appreciate that they're here, but for crimney's sake get a map or directions BEFORE you start driving, PLEASE.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree.

I remember reading somewhere that Miami was voted to have the worst drivers and road rage a couple of years back.

Its definetly true.

8. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I swear Memphis has the worst drivers in the world. When I was going to school there that was the number one complaint among all of my classmates.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My aunt lived there.

I agree.

You guys have some DUMBASS drivers. I don't think I ever got so pissed off in my life.

OH! And if you are in the left lane on the interstate going 50, and you dont get over, I WILL STAB YOUR DOG TO DEATH AND HANG HIS LIFLESS CORPSE ABOVE THE BED!!! UNDERSTAND?!!?!?!?!
  10. If you wanna see dumbass driving try Paris.

Imagine a 12 lane wide roundabout with 12 exits, no traffic lights or white lines and a few thousand French guys crossing it as fast as possible! :D

Sorry if I have offended French TalkBassers
  11. This is oh-so-true! I'm sick of all those 16-year-olds who think they are in The Fast And The Furious and drive their Neon or Civic with 1,000 ugly stickers and neon lights and spoilers ( :rolleyes: ) at 80 mph in a 30 mph zone! They just got their license and are all excited about it and want to show off to their friends! But the fact is, you have to learn to walk before you run, punks! :mad:

Careless driving, even by experienced drivers, represent a potential danger to other road users. Please drive carefully. And by that, I don't mean driving at 30 on the highway!

Driving demands all your concentration and good reflexes.
  12. Wow. The perfect profile for a potential road-rager. :meh:
  13. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    You mean the one by L'Arch de Triomphe? That's pretty impressive - and scary. I didn't drive there :D .
    There are horror stories about car tourists being trapped in the inner lane for hours, going around and around... :eek:. Don't know how true it is...
  14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes florida is horrible...mostly because of old people..

and yes if i was old..i would have enough comon sense to make sure im safe to drive..

usually the older poeple aren't in accidents..they just cause turning..goign to slow..etc

people just don't care about any one else..only about then selves..

15. Oh yeah, In Miami, I guess most peoples' cars don't come with turn signals. And red lights to most must mean "stop if you feel like it". Or my favorite one, when someone is driving ahead of you and they brake real fast with no warning to make a U turn, when making a U turn is illegal. Then you have to hit the brakes real hard and hope the person behind you wasn't going 100mph.
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I really hate that sudden braking!

Today on my way back from practice I was driving home in my fully loaded station wagon and I had one of those guys in front of me. He just decided to slam on his brakes sudenly to make a turn (of course he didnt have his signal on)and when I braked I had all my gear go flying forward and it hit the back of my seat pretty hard.

17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Florida... it's like driving in Hell. Only, I think you get better gas milage in Hell.
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Having driven in both Paris and in numerous locales in's a tough call....

....I'd say the Parisians are crazier, the old farts & tourists in Florida are stupider.

Neither is an enjoyable experience.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    And its these backwards hat idiots that give Drag Racing a bad rap. Drag Racing is conducted on a dragstrip, and street racing is just plain dumb.

Maybe the driving age should be raised to 18.
  20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

The real question--What are you going to do with the elderly drivers who don't pass the test and refuse to give up their driving priviledges?

Throw the 80 year old in jail? There's a liability problem if I've ever seen one.

Fine them? Yeah. Sure. They'll be the first in line to pay that bad boy the next day because whats going to happen if they don't pay the fine? Throw them in jail?

It's really a lose-lose situation. I agree that something should be done, but as of right now, I see no logical solution.

FWIW--Bad drivers suck.