1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Canada YEG Corner (Edmonton, Alberta)

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by lat, Dec 28, 2018.

1. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    I know there are at least a few other Edmontonians here, so thought I'd start a thread where we could share experiences / insights on all things bass in Edmonton. Hopefully it will provide some benefit to folks here...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. lat

lat

Dec 30, 2014
    Lower Basstonia
    ... or not ... ;)

3. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    See, only a year late and I find this post. Yes, another Edmontonian here.

4. lol, and then there were 3. Lloydminster here. Took up the bass 2 years ago at age 58.

5. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Nice DennisO, stay warm and keep rocking the bass.
    Music knows no age, just have fun with it.

6. Right on Jason, I will. I played drums all my life, so I got the rhythm in me lol. It definitely helps. My first bass was a Squier Affinity P bass. I became instantly hooked. Now I have a bunch. Just traded an acoustic Ibanez bass for a Hohner 5 string. I love it for a lot of reasons. Sounds great and not many around. The downside is there's not much for support and few Hohner groups. I'm gonna create one in TalkBass and FaceBook.

7. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Cool Stuff. I have been playing bass for 30 years now and have had too many basses.....LOL. I have a couple of 5 strings I will never part with (a 94 Warwick and a Hamer) Played those for many years and a lot of memories in them. Have my 4 strings I love also, some cheap, some expensive. It don't matter what the headstock says, play what you love.
    Keep enjoying it! Good luck with the Hohner group.

8. You sound a lot like me. I have a mixture of budget basses and a few pro ones. A Fender Jazz, Fender Aerodyne, soon a Mark Hoopus fretless, and the Hohner. All of them I got a good deal on because I'm poor folk lol. I'm just amazed at how good a guitar you can get for a couple hundred bucks. I'm mechanically inclined and do a lot of work on them myself, which really helps. But wow, a Squier with a bunch of tweaking is a fine guitar.

9. Heya fellow yeg bassists lol. Didn't know there was such a group until I randomly decided to search 'edmonton'. It's quiet here but glad it exists.

Jason Stock likes this.
  10. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I came up there (saw Gretzky get signed!) Edmonton has always been a great music town, and I learned everything there- just saying hi to you all. Best regards, L

DennisO and RileyGoodenough like this.
  11. Is St. Albert close enough to count?

RileyGoodenough and Jason Stock like this.
  12. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Hope everyone is staying warm in the Edmonton area and driving safe. That snow was crazy.

13. Came out of no where.
    So, how do you guys go about finding people in or near the city to jam with? I've tried yeg bands on FB and bandmix but no luck. Other than already established and very skilled groups looking for bassists for auditions. I'm looking to jam with other relatively new musicians but can't find the platform to do so

14. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Well Riley, I have a band I play with already and have been playing with these guys for many many years. As I have been playing gigs for 25+years now I just know some people. I know a few other guys that I have jammed and done one off shows with also in the past that might be looking for some one to jam with. The guys I know are my age (40+ years old) and we do covers. Have another show in a few weeks and try to play gigs once every other month.
    What kind of music are you looking to play?

RileyGoodenough likes this.
  15. That sounds like good fun. I'm getting into music like rush, credence, some old funk, rise against, Ozzy, a whole slew of genres. Not that I'm extremely proficient like I said I'm fairly new to bass but absolutely love music and playing what I can. I really enjoy nice groovy basslines that aren't all over the place (I used to listen to metal exclusively but have zero interest in playing that style of bass). Ive got 2 kids and a really weird shift at work which also attributes to my struggle in finding jam buddies

Jason Stock likes this.
  16. Saw this on the Edmonton music gear Facebook page. Thought maybe one of you guys would be interested. Screenshot_20200214-044110.png

17. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    That is a fair price, sadly, music gear is not moving at all in the city right now and I do not need a bass like that in my set up. I have a mixing board, a few power amps and a bunch of LED lighting I want to sell but I know nobody would buy it right now so i am just hanging on to it. Oh well, add it to the pile of stuff in the corner of the studio.

RileyGoodenough likes this.
  18. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I went to GMCC for 2 years does that count?

Jason Stock likes this.
  19. HI Riley, welcome

20. Welcome byacey, Lloydminster here

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021