1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yellow paint job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by explodingPSYCH, Nov 16, 2010.

1. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    Hey guys,

I was wondering about getting that aged yellow look out of a paint job. I'm not really into distressing or anything, I was just wondering if there's a chemical process I could use on an Olympic White to get a slightly uneven yellow tint on a paint job, maybe a thinner paint job like some of the Warmoth jobs I've seen.

Maybe just a tinted clear coat finish?

Just a thought.

Aside from that, any painters have tips, suggestions or even documentation on successful paint/finish jobs on their bass bodies?

Thanks!

2. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

here's a picture of my current bass. late 70's musicmaster with some kind of big pickup in it.

3. Put in a meat smoker, let it sit in a bowling alley bar for a few months, play it for 30 years and let nature work its maginc.

4. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    If all else fails. What properties does the bowling alley bar have that I'm utilizing in this process?

Perhaps I can soak it in used fry grease, shoe cleaner and beer?

Am I right that certain modern finishes prevent the yellowing? Might be a good idea for me to steer clear of these?

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A yellow paint job will look exactly as a yellow paint job. Aged white is inconsistant, heavy in some spots, and lighter where foreams and fingers rest and on the back where it rubs your pants.

If you look at the Reranch site, there are people replicating aged finishes. Basically, you need to use the Reranch laquers because they don't have the modern UV filters like other modern paints do. You can see some folks lay the finished body out in the sunshine on foil to get the sun to darken it to taste, and this way you can simlulate the darker front or sides. You'll see you can even re-create the checking of old laquer.

a few original white examples:

DSC02868.
    DSC01703-1.
    DSC01242.
    DSC02149.

7. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    OH MAN! That p-bass is awesome!!!!

ReRanch looks promising. I'll look into it and report back with further questions. Thanks guys.

8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The question goes to 'how' to premix the color that you're looking for, or where to buy it?

9. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    An answer to either of those questions would be fine by me!

10. Here's one that I did with ReRanch Vintage Cream..could this be what you are looking for?

P1090008.
    P1090006.
    P1090001.
    Cheers.

11. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    Oh man! Another rad bass. I think that color is right, but the more I think about it, I'm starting to wonder if I could come up with an uneven finish with slightly dark yellow somewhere.

Maybe how they do the Antiqua finish on some P-Basses?

P8080026.

Almost sunbursty...

The possibilities! Hmm!

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
  13. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
  14. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Yummy... Man., Now thats a great color there!

15. ...Hey..where have I seen that Fretless Antigua before..:smug:

Cheers.