yellow silk rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fresnorich, Oct 25, 2005.

1. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I like the roundwounds that came on my '71 P-bass, but I'm not sure of the brand or type.

There is a little bit of yellow silk left on the G string (headstock end).

Any ideas?

Here's a pic:

When I look closely, it appears that there is a small strand of red silk underneath the yellow. The piece of yellow silk is located right above the "S" in precision.

Almost forgot to mention that there is no silk on the ball end of the strings and the E, A, and D string balls are gold colored while the G string ball is black.
  2. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    I feel a bit stupid for not noticing this before, but the G string appears to be nickel (it's more shiney than the other three) and since it's the only one with a black ball end, I'm thinking it's a different type of string than the other three. I guess I have a mis-matched set.

This sucks because I really wanted to figure out what the E, A, and D strings are so I can get another set for my other bass. I'll just have to keep trying other brands of strings until I find the right ones. They're not Rotosound so maybe Blue Steels, DRs, or something.
  3. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Fender Original Pure Nickel roundwounds have yellow silk. They are pretty soft, very warm rounds.

Hope this helps
  4. From what I've seen, I would guess that they are DR's. They have tapered tight windings toward the headstock and are unsilked. If you can determine whether it's a round core string by looking at the core at the ball end, it would be a safe bet to say that they are Hi-Beams or Fat-Beams. Blue Steels have white silk, another kind of windings toward the headstock (same type as Rotosounds), and black ball-ends, so they would be easy to spot.