1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yep..May be getting a 5 string...again.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Jun 29, 2012.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Newer style Music, Dance, Hip Hop...what ever the case is..I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on having a 5 String to my Line-up once again.

I havent played a 5 string in about 7yrs..strickly a Fender 4 string guy..the last 5's I had were Carvins..and liked them...so here is my obstacle...I will need to finance so I am thinking of an Ibanez SR605, SR375, Or: a Warwick China Version.

I had a SR800 back in the day and liked it...not to many places where I can A-B them....

Any suggestions on the Overseas Warwick's Corvette or Steamers...or stick with Ibanez?

Maybe a $ Range $400 to $850...NEW

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    You'll probably get a million and one suggestions but in that range, I'd recommend checking out the MTD Kingston range. Comfiest necks I've ever played.

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    If price is a big concern, why do you want to go new?

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I do have a question for you and this is kinda out of left field.

Would it be possible to put the money down on a New Carvin SB5000? You only put 20% down to get it started and then pay the rest as you go/when it's done which is a couple of months.

If not, I would throw Schecter in there as a 5 string alternative as well. I would buy an Ibanez or a Squier 5er over the Warwick Rockbass. IMO

5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    How about a Mexican Fender Deluxe 5??

6. Carvin B50. Same exact same components as an SB5000, but in a different body style (and the B50 has more options for customization....). $769 brand new may even leave a little $$ for some upgrades, though it doesn't really need it.... FWIW, I have 2 and love 'em.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

Grab a used 5er. In the higher end of your price range you should be able to find a US made G&L L2500, an EBMM SR5, or a variety of other very nice 5ers.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I always forget about the B50 series.

9. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Well my thought is to go to AMS and finance over a period of 3-6 months depending on the Bass.

That is why I am going new...I need to spend money like I need a hole in my head :0/...going thru aLife Change and need to save $ for a move, ect...

10. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    At the risk of saying something completely against the spirit of this forum...

Don't buy it. Don't spend money you haven't got. Save up, use the money for the most important things, then buy a bass outright and guilt-free at the right time.

Or, you know, something sunburst and tort with flats.

11. I know it's not in your OP list of choices, but as a former gear snob, Squiers are no longer basses to turn up your nose against. I did it for decades, but now they are genuinely a better instrument.

I own a "table-top-boutuique" 2001 Zon... I love it and yet it intimidates me: Too precious to gig at a club, don't want to use it too often for fear of any possibility of marring finish; never going to be exposed to "unclean environment"..etc. So..My wife bought me a Squier Jazz 5 active. Like the Zon: bolt-on Active, 3 band with detents in the knobs..cost under $400; Zon over $4,000. Wife ordered top-of-the line case for my Squier..it deserves it! [ 2009 was a great birthday year...LOL..]

Squier is now my main go to bass while Zon mostly stays comfy in her case.

Think about it

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am leery of financing gear uinless your financial situation is extremely stable. It is too easy for things to go wrong, and what was once a managable payment becomes a burden, or maybe you cannot afford it at all. The only exception I might make is if you are working musician, and buying gear is a legitimate business expense.

If $850 is truly your upper limit, you can get virtually anything outside of boutiques if you are patient and put in some effort looking.

13. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm a 4 string guy myself. I've owned a couple of 5ers only to turn around and sell them to buy another 4. The only 5 that I've owned that I really liked was an Ibanez BTB. The biggest trouble I've had with the other 5s I've owned is mostly the tight string spacing. The BTB solves that and has a nice growley tone.

14. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I'll suggest the Squire Active Jazz Deluxe V as well. Go used and for 200something dollars you will have a great bass. I love mine! Shallow, wide neck, 18 mm string spacing.
    If you have to upgrade, a preamp and pickups for another 250 or so, then it is amazing!. The good thing is, you could get the bass for what would be one payment from AMS. For what would be your second payment, you could do the little up grade IF you though it needed it.

I like to hotrod stuf and I have left my Squire 5er alone.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Is that the black one with the ebanol fingerboard? I got to A/B that with a VM 5er. I HATED the ebanol one, but the new VM 5 blew me away completely. It's heavy, but oh my god does it play and sound great.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That Squier Jazz Deluxe V has 19mm spacing at the bridge.

17. Yamaha BB

18. MY 2009 Squier Jazz Active 5 does have the ebanol.

As it is fretted; fingerboard material at that price point is irrelevant to me; I play just behind the frets; one fret-at-a time...LOL..

For funzies, I played a Squier fretless 4 [ Strung W/Flats ] at GC. Couldn't have been any slicker than if I had sprayed it with WD-40 or rubbed-on Chicken grease. Action was too high for my taste and I prefer rounds for fretless, but IF /WHEN I buy another bass, Squier will be my choice. I only wish Squier made a fretless 5-er; active or passive ..I would buy it.

I went to GC to buy the mm 5er I always wanted and then .....

I bought the Squier with intentions of it to be a "beater", but in actual in-store evaluation against a MM Fretted 5 @ $1700; main difference between MM and Squier is what I refer to as "Pawn Shop Value": Any instrument is instantly worth half purchase price at pawn shop, when bought new. The GC guy heard same as I did; we were both astounded. Blind folded I WOULD NOT HAVE HEARD A DIFFERENCE..and Squier feels nearly as good. Squier fret ends are sharp. As I play on the fret board; not on the sides, that is no issue either. Saved around $1400 in my math. I digress.. Bought as a beater, but ..if it ain't broke don't fix it..

I LOVE mine; leaving her as purchased. I have Korg Pandora, Line6 "Butter Bean" and Furman PQ-3, so no need to modify that bass for purpose of tonal variation.

Although not as good as my '99 Am Stand Fender Precision; Squier stays in tune well enough between uses. Precision stays in tune for months; set-it-and-forget-it with very minor tweaking, whereas Squier gets tuned; never more than a few cents -out. And yes I had to [learn how and do] set-up, as I like low action/ no buzz.

19. The Squier 4 fretless I tried had Ebanol board.

Back to OP: Reason for buying a 5er: Prior to mid '80's; most top 40; regardless of genre could be played on a 4-stringed bass. Most of today's Top 40 may require a 5 er; makes perfect sense to own one unless you are structly "old-school"

20. +1 for the MTD Kingston series. Based on the music you're doing, you could do a heck of a lot worse than the MTD Kingston Heir 5. It's got a whopping huge exposed pole humbucker in the bridge and a single coil jazz-style (also exposed pole) in the neck. Quiet electronics and a fast, comfy neck.