Yes another "Band Kicked me Out" Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Rumzini, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    This actually happened last week. Drummer calls me up after he gets back from vacation. I figure he's gonna tell me when the next practice is seeing how I had recording set up with a friend of mine. We chatted about how his vacation went and then...he then proceeds to tell me that they have been talking about this for a month now and that they would like for me to step down as bass player. Reasons being that I seem to have a lot on my plate with my full time new part time job...and family and new home. Hmmm...not anything different from what they're doing. He also say that I seemed to bring a negative vibe to if I was always upset at something. Fair enough, I had been going through a lot of stress as of lately but...most of that has been subsiding. The negative feelings I had at the last three practices were for the fact that we weren't recording our demo cd that we were to have done FOUR practices ago! It seemed they always had an excuse for not getting things going. Along with that they felt I wasn't happy unless we were giging every week...hmm we've only had 3 in the last year. I felt we were more than ready to be playing out. Another reason...with all of this I don't have a lot of time to practice at home...they felt that I should be practicing more. I tell 'em...sure practice is great however when you've been playing the same songs for a year now...what is there to practice. As far as new things, new ideas...I learned long ago that It wasn't my place to bring song ideas to the table. Basically that was the job of the drummer and the guitarist. To top it all off...I went to the local music shop to see if there were any bass player needed ads...sure was. Call such and such number. So I tell the shop owner/friend of mine hey that's my ol drummer's number. He says "No ****? That's been up there for two months!" I gave every bit of my heart to this band...thought I was a part of a cohesive my back, I watch yours...what happens here, stays here...I can tell you guys anything (and did, stuff my wife dosn't even know!) Damn them! :mad: :crying:

Solo artist now....

Rant over....
  2. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    you are so better off now without those punks wasting your time.

the chinese word for crisis is opportunity

crisotunity on bro!
  3. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    Agreed! If the band is not moving forward (recording, gigging, etc.), and they are unhappy with you for pointing this out, you are probably better off looking for another gig.

Keep an eye on the band (watch the local rags and check their website if they have one). You'll probably notice that their lack of progress continues without the one person who was doing all of the pushing (you!). I've seen the same on my end. A couple of bands that I left for lack of progress or cohesion faded out of existence, never to be heard from again. Heck, I was even in an up and coming local Alt band that canned me for a REALLY good Berklee grad (it sure hurt, but I can't blame them too much, this guy was Da Bomb!). I keep an eye on their site and advertising. They've been virtually dormant for over a year. On the other hand, I've rejoined a band I was in a few years back (they replaced the drummer that was driving us all away with his "all talk, no action" MO), and glad to say that the vibe is great and the material is moving in a very positive direction.

It's all about timing and chemistry...keep at it!!! (Oh yeah, when your next band is gigging, call up the old fellas and ask them if they'd like to open for you at a show) (yeah, I know, it's petty....but kinda fun!) ;)
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

if it makes you feel any better , i'm gonna fire our drummer this weekend ...:D
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Send them a "Thank You" card, they did you a favor.
  6. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Say Goodbye, and may your future endeavors all be positive.

Be sure to address this issue that you stated in your original post:

Personally, I still practice songs that I've played for many years at home. Stay razor sharp and good luck!
  7. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    So about a month ago I made contact with the singer of the band to let him know that I had a CD of his. In the conversation I was told that they were booked for a show at a place called the Machine Shop in Flint, MI. This is a place where alot of metal acts play, and that I had a contact with for playing there when we were ready, which we were at the time. Anyways so that bums me out. I also asked him if he would call me sometime to explain to me as to what happened withme being fired. He says he'll call...lip service. Never heard from him, don't expect to really.

So then I'm told by a friend of a friend of theirs that the reason I was let go was that they found a guy that played bass, that is not as good, that had a contact that a couple of clubs to play. So...I was out.

Then I happen to have a chance to listen to their three song CD. Lo and behold the new bass player playing one of my lines in the song!!!

Then just this morning a few minutes ago. They are to be featured on this weeks episode of a show called "Extremely Local" on the Lansing radio station tonight!

Now as some of you allready know, I have moved on with another band that mybrother-in-law and I have created. Thus far it is the best material that I have ever come up with and my playing abilities have dramatically increased since the firing. We get along great and hope to be playing out in a couple of months. I know that I should just let it go. I really don't sit and dwell on it at all. It's just that I keep hearing things about them, and their success is getting better and better.

Rant off...
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If you have proof that you wrote that bassline, and if it's a major part of the song, WISH THEM LUCK!!! Then hit 'em with the songwriting credit and publishing requests!!
  9. None of the following is meant to be cruel or superior. Please don’t take it that way.

“…they felt that I should be practicing more.”
    Sorry, but this reflects on you, not them. Your abilities or expertise should never be part of the equation unless you are a rank amateur and even then it is no excuse to not go home & hammer the part out or at least show progress on it.

“I don't have a lot of time to practice at home...”
    See above. You must make time. 30-45 min every other day? Get up a bit earlier, go to bed a little later. Headphones are your friends. :)

“I learned long ago that It wasn't my place to bring song ideas to the table.”
    What? That would have probably made me walk right there. You’re not a sideman, you’re the bass player in the band. Equal in all aspects. Grrr…

“Lo and behold the new bass player playing one of my lines in the song!!!”
    No greater compliment. Take it as such. I’ve actually shown the incoming bassist certain parts (when asked) after leaving a band. We’re bassists, not stinkin’ git players or melodramatic vocalists. We stick together and help each other. It’s not his fault he’s replacing you, right?

“It's just that I keep hearing things about them, and their success is getting better and better.”
    Great, be happy for them and yourself. You helped get it all started.

“I know that I should just let it go.”
    Yes, you should. You have to. Be a good example to bassists everywhere.

“… I have moved on… Thus far it is the best material that I have ever come up with and my playing abilities have dramatically increased since the firing.
    You’ve kinda moved on… Let it go bro. You’re on the right track. Keep practicing and getting better and better and a whole new world of bassin’ will open up to ya. Plus that “other” band will be opening YOUR show. Even as bassists we’re still human and there is a bit of smug satisfaction in kickin’ that musical as… Um, butt!

Rock onward & upward! :bassist:

Read the first line again if any of this hits you the wrong way.
  10. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Yeah, take it easy and rock on!

I reahearsed one time with one band. Before that they asked me what is my main musical direction. I said "metal". They said "but we're gonna play soft rock". I said "I don't mind, I'm open to almost anything".
    So okay, we did a rehearsal, and agreed afterwards that it was pretty good. Before the next rehearsal I'm said that "my technique doesn't fit the style". Like ***? I didn't get any better answer from them, but I don't really care now.
  11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    At least he had the guts to tell you you were being let go. I can think of quite a few "The band is breaking up" bs stories, and next thing you know they are back together with a different bass player. :eyebrow:
  12. When I found out our singer in my old band was dissatified with me, I felt a little hurt because he said things behind my back ..

I was trying for so long to get us to have regular practices, and after a three-month hiatus, he calls me and tells me he booked us a gig in less than two weeks......I laughed about it, but then said "sure, I'll do it!" ...

I thought everything was fine until our guitarist called me back, and said he was sooo pissed at me...I never got this, and even asked him if everything was cool before I got off the phone..I saw him for the first time in almost a year last week...and we were cool, but I can still tell he isn't a team player when we talked...

Guess what... bass players will always have more opportunities than guitarists or singers, and I'm playing with better musicians now(better than me!)

Just drop the past and forget about it... you're on a new track now.
  13. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    My story - Bass player "B", Lead guitarist "G", Drummer "D" (who I had to search hard for), Keyboardist "K" (my sister) and I are in a band. "G" drops out, we decide to stick it out. "G" shows up for the last gig as agreed. Next day, "B" and "D" drop out.

A month later, I happen to discover that "G", "D", and "B" started a screamo band together. Sigh...

That's when I decided to teach "K" (my sister) to be a bassist. Then I'd never be without one again. :D