Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes, another forum suggestion.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by jazzbo, Jun 16, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, I know Paul was kind of to create a new forum just recently, but I thought I might as well through my idea out there.

We do have a gig stories forum, but we have no forum established with the implicit purpose of helping people with band management and live performance information.

Many members of Talkbass are involved in bands, whose plans revolve around regular gigging, on the national level, the local level, or just for informal occasions. We have a plethora of knowledge and experience from Talkbassers who have been gigging since the bass guitar was invented.

A Band Management and Performance forum could help people with managing bands, recording and distributing demos and press kits, establishing web page content (or even technical web page issues), booking, performing, advertising, communicating with club/bar/festival/corporate management, sound engineers, club PA systems, PA systems in general, do's and don'ts of live performance, and much more.

Creating a viable and working band is a detailed and intricate process. Unfortunately, very little information exists for beginners on how to go about this. With the experience we have here I think a specific forum of this nature would be very beneficial.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats a good idea. Jazzbo you just dont stop do you? ;)

People could get/ask information on how they can get their band where they want it, like how to go about getting gigs, how they can improve their reputation and how they can do better if they have failed in battle of the bands tornaments.

Only one problem. It could get a bit confusing if a member has just done a gig, and he/she thinks it went bad. It would be a bit confusing where to put it. In Bass humor & Gig stories, because they are telling their story, or Band management and Performance, because they are asking how they can manage their band better.

Other that that sounds like a good idea. :)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The existing forum could be changed to just "Bass Humor".

4. I like the idea! I am one of those newbies that has NO clue about what to do at live performances.

Devils advocate on
    If we change Bass Humor and Gig stories to just Bass Humor, I'd imagine it wouldn't have too many topics seeing as the forum was created with the assumption that most gig stories turn out humorus (well this is what I think anyway). Plus how many new bass jokes have you seen recently? :rolleyes:
    /Devils Advocate

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah good idea,cuz have no idea about "micing" stuff and "pa systems" and "cabinets" etc...i like this idea.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thats a great idea Jazzbo, Maybe Paul could implement my idea of a musician seeking musician type service in with it.

7. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    Thats a great idea for a forum. It would help me out alot as thats my band just started playin gigs.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    BUMP.

I still think that this idea has a lot of merit. Any support?

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Yes.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Great!

Any more?

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    that sounds like a good idea, jazzbo.

i also agree that gig stories would be better off where it is.

about musicians looking for musicians, i don't know. i can see that drawing a lot of users who just register to make one post and that's it. maybe not, but if that did happen, that particular forum might get inundated by posts by people who don't really care about TB overall. or something. maybe a separate forum just for musicians looking for musicians? because it would be a cool thing..

leanne

12. I love it. Jazzbo > all.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Excellent. Let's keep the BASS HUMOR & GIG STORIES thread existent, and start the new forum.

I am happy to moderate.

Any more support?

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Count me in as another mod volunteer. :)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ooh, I'll co-moderate!!!

what... what are you laughing about stop. STOP POINTING!

16. Here's my support for the forum.

I can see it being soooooooo useful.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    bump

18. Great idea - Jazzbo strikes again!

19. good idea. i think bass humor should be merged with Misc, actually. gig stories and anything to do with playing live could go in the Performing forum.

20. oh, and let Dave Castelo moderate it. wouldn't want to put him out of a job. :D