Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes another MP3 player thread.....but this is mine!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jan 26, 2005.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok the wife wants a portable MP3 player for when she exercises. Since she is cute now and I want to keep her that way I should keep her workingout. Right?!!! :)

So she needs something small, easy to use and doesnt skip when she's hopping around etc.

ideas??

Obvious is ipod. Should it be flash memory?? OR will a larger drive based one work. We are thinking of the the 1 gig ipod.

Thanx for the redundancy!!!!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i want to say a flash drive version may be more stable. my HD type mp3 player doesn't take well to bumps...then again it's a philips POS.

:)

good luck

3. Agreed, any flash based unit is gauranteed never to skip.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Can't knock an Ipod.... but if it really is for use when she's "hopping around", gotta consider that a flash memory player will be immune to mechanical shock.... a drive-based player, well.....

But whatever you do, get some better headphones with it. Every player I've ever seen comes with complete junk for phones, and they all come alive when you plug in something better. :cool:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The iPod shuffle is miniscule! I saw one in person the other day, it's absolutely tiny. The only 'issue' with it is the lack of a screen, which really isn't that big of a deal for navigating a couple albums(or a premade playlist) worth of songs. Or when you're running.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i kind of figured the Ipod wouldn't have issues with this, but my philips just waits for a bump to go nuts! :(

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Assuming it has a decent-sized memory buffer, you won't hear the skipping... even the newer Walkman-type CD players have a buffer, so that the music continues even when the disc skips....

My greater concern would be the longevity of the drive, if it's bounced around almost every day....

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    good point

:)

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a Neuros II and it's possibly the most versitile MP3 player I have seen.

You can use it as both a HD player and a Flash player by changing backpacks if you get the bundle on the site. You can also use it as a house jukebox by using it's NeuroCast feature to broadcast a FM signal of what is currently playing.

You can also use it to record yourself, but a preamp and external mix is reccomended.

If you are interested check em out
    http://www.neurosaudio.com

They aren't the cutest thing but they are very nice.
    Just think of it as a present for the both of you ;)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Even with skip protection, you can still catch a skip if you just happen to be moving around while the drive is refilling. But, the iPod shuffle is solid state, so it's not an issue. The bigger iPods(mini and regular) are both Hard drive players, and while they have a 32 MB ram buffer, prolonged jogging and you'll probably get a skip or two.

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    cool! i'm glad you responded...i looked at the site a couple of weeks ago...the whole backpack thing confuses me...to me the site had me in circles and i'm not even old :D

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I bought my wife the Nike one, and she loves it. My son just got the Rio Chiba, and that is also awesome. The Chiba is really small. The Cali is also a great player from Rio.

-Mike

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    It's pretty straight forward once you get one, youpull a tab down, slide out the 'brain' and slide itinto the other backbpack/battery pack.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so what does the backpack have? the brain is the HD? this is what confuses me. :)

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    The backpack is the battery/hard drive.

the brain is the flash portion without a battery, so you have to switch to the bettery backpack to use it as a flash player, then you can just switch back to the HD backpack for all your songs.

This is also OpenSource so people can add features as they see fit and firmware updates are pretty regular. The last beta added in tetris to play while listening to music, pretty fun :)

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    No problem, I try to promote them as much as I can to topple Apple :)

The hard drive backpack is pretty bulky but the flash is a good size to take to the gym or go running.

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My wife and I use Sony NetMDs. Shock's not an issue.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh, never thought I'd ever hear that! ;)