Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes another question about Making the grain in Ash stand out

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 16, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Such as the "F" basses and several of the basses I have seen here. I have aquired some Ash and would like to do it. What did you all conclude worked the best? :eyebrow:

2. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    Any oil, water or alcool wood stain that you apply with a sponge or a rag let it penetrate into the wood for one minute
    and then wipe it to create the desired effect.
    Ash is an open grain wood with hard and soft wood
    So you stain with a dark color (black) first so it will penetrate into the soft wood and you wipe first and sand it down with light gage sanding paper. After you restain it with a light color(yellow) so the black part will stay black and you wipe it with a rag that will create a piece of ash with 2 colors (black as background color and yellow as the top color)
    You always practice first on a scrap piece of wood before doing it on your guitar or bass
    René

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  4. The method I described on that thread worked pretty good. You can do all those color combinations with the right stain colors. I used a reddish brown that I darkened with some jet black. It looks much better in person.

[​IMG]

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I have some of the system 3 mirror coat. Anything black and easily obtainable that I can mix with it?

6. Well, probably oil based stains won't work. I used transtint analyne dyes and they worked great. System3 recommends their own paste pigments, but I ran some tests before using it on the bass. Dyeing epoxy with transtint concentrates won't degrade performance in strengt. Cure time might be affected depending on how much dye you use, but a little goes a long way! 3 caps of resin/hardener just needed about 7-10 drops of black dye to become opaque jet black.

Come to think of it, it's also a GREAT method for using less expensive fingerboard wood on fretless basses and make them look like coated ebony. Should have thought of that before!

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "transtint concentrates " :confused:

Where are you getting these?

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  9. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
  10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    the link I posted is to a store about 20 miles from me.t

11. Great! 20 miles is about the same distance I have to travel to my local woodcraft.

I got the black, reddish brown and honey amber. They ARE expensive, mind you, but they are concentrate, so they'll give you plenty of bang for the buck ...plus they're compatible from everything to oil based finishes, lacquer, poly to epoxy.