1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yes, another "vs" thread. Fender MIM P vs Squier CV 70's P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Hunting for a new bass. Currently w/o one. My feeling is the Squier CV seems higher quality than the basic Fender MIM. Anyone else arrive at this conclusion?

Son of Wobble and MITTENDORF like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not sure about higher quality but some people don’t like basswood.
    Should be able to play all the songs you could play on the Fender, though, for a lot less money if you have to have a ‘70s P bass.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Ultimately, IMHO, it comes down to the individual instrument. The CVs are indeed nice, but I also like what Fender recently did in moving from the MIM Standard series to the MIM Player series.

baTassi, ruju and Maxfenderbass like this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    When you say “feeling” is that based on first hand experience and playing them both?

I definitely did not have that experience. I played a 2017 MIM standard and a Classic Vibe J right next to each other. The Classic Vibe was not bad, but it was heavier and did not have the same open tone as the MIM. The new MIMs play like American Standards did. Only weakness was the pickups, and they upgraded those for the new model. When I replaced the pickups in the MIM2017 (I bought it new and spent the extra cash over the CV - it was that much better to me) the internals were incredibly clean and the QC was tight. Reality for me was the newer MIMs are now made at the quality of the old American Standards - which are basically gone and now you have a pro or elite model.

somebrains and maplenecked like this.
  5. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    Squier CV 70s by a MILLION miles.

Absolutely built better. Better fit and finish. Necks are PERFECT.

Painted better than MIA Fenders as well. No bumps, no haze, no scratches.

...probably why Fender is killing the Chinese Squier line (including the CV line). Too good.

When the Chinese CV line came out about 10 years ago and started getting good press Fender suddenly started selling the Chinese Fender "Modern Player" line for twice the money since they said "Fender" on the headstock...but of course they were built at the same factory by the same people.

CV for the win.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There's been a lot of talk about the new Player series from Fender and though I've only played half a dozen, I have to say one thing...it's a P bass.
    Not the one I'd buy, but some people think they’re the best thing since sliced bread...I simple can't agree.
    If I wanted a P bass, other than the new impossible to find Squier CV in Sea Foam Pearl, I’d go with this one any day of the week...Special Edition '70s P Bass.
    $999 but worth every penny. I found it every bit as nice as any USA P bass.
    909_C52_D5-_D205-469_A-_B180-2_A494_C3415_F1.

7. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Ok cool. Mine was a J and was $600. Im happy with it and prefer it to the cv. All i was saying there.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    It is, but I realize now I was playing the earlier (used) Fender pre-upgrades.

I did prefer the CV neck though.

I will be shopping around more before I commit. I am moving soon and all my $ is tied up anyway right now. :(

9. BassPilot

BassPilot

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    Quick shout out for the G&L (George and Leo (Fender)) Tribute series P.
    I have 2 American made G&L's with a 3rd on the way and I have no desire to play others. They are fantastic instruments.
    Here's a link to the G&L website:

LB-100

And here's the G&L thread here on TB:

G&L Club Part 7

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sorry, didn’t think you were saying you bought one of the new Player Series basses...thought you had a Standard.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  11. maplenecked

maplenecked Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    D.C.
    I like to have both laying around, never had a bad experience with either. If I had to pick one I would pick a MiM. They’re in the sweet spot for me right now as a new bassist and hobbyist. I’ve bought a lot of more expensive basses but I end up feeling like I have to play them to get the value out of them. Where as I don’t feel bad neglecting my MiMs for a day, week, or month when my life stuff gets too busy, and they’re still cool/nice enough for me to want to play them when I do.

12. I've been playing US made Fender basses since the '60s and I prefer the Classic Vibe and the G&L Tribute models to the standard Mexican models which is why I own them instead. They simply offer better value.

MITTENDORF and jd56hawk like this.
  13. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Higher quality. No. Comparable quality. Yes.
    I’ve owned a squier cv 70’s p and currently own a new mim players p. I much prefer my players p bass. That’s not to say the squier wasent really good.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    … it might be important to note which 'pre-upgrade' bass were you playing …. there were 'upgrades' to the MIM Standard line in '01, '06, and '08 for the following model years…. and there will be significant differences from bass to bass, even within those era's, especially prior to the mid '08 changes …

… the Players Series is not an upgrade to the Standard Series, but a different model, just like the Hwy 1 and American Specials shared some components with the MIM Standards …

When it comes to the MIM Standard Series offerings, as well as Squier CV/VM series offerings, the 'bang for the buck' of both are often very attractive (especially in the flooded used market) …. and unfortunately, so are the subjective opinions when it comes to comparisons … with all the pro/con comments on threads like this, I have found the only opinion that is important when all is said and done is that of each end user … try several of each, subject to your own criteria ;)

JMHO's … as always

jd56hawk and ruju like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The CV necks are really nice. But the one they put on the Squier Matt Freeman is (IMO) one of the finest necks to ever grace a PB. Well worth hunting one down if you can.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I’ve always thought the same thing about the Squier Chris Aiken P bass neck.

MITTENDORF and 40Hz like this.
  17. Jimruth

Jimruth Supporting Member

If you’re looking at pre-2018 models (both MiM Fender and Squier CV) and if you don’t mind my experience pertains to Jazz basses:

My ‘70s CV Jazz (2017) is nice but isn’t quite up to snuff with my MiM Jazz (2016).*

Build quality is similar, but the output and tone of the MiM are superior, IMO.

* Important note: my MiM is the Geddy Lee model, which I bought because of its upgraded pickups and bridge.

18. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    I found the MIM stuff good value back in the day when you could get it for $399 with a free USA tweed Fender case thrown in from MF. Even then the value and quality were a bit spotty, however. Nowadays, for $1000, no f'n way. They're smokin' rope.

The Chinese REALLY know how to paint bass bodies and necks for some reason. It wouldn't surprise me if all of my Chinese Squiers and Fenders were painted by one Mr. 馬蒂貝爾.

Seriously, they are THAT good.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Never tried one of those but I’ve been given to understand the Squier CVs and the signature models are basically one and the same except for pickups and/or cosmetic touches.

My Matt Freeman and MIM Fender get along just fine however.

D8AB684C-38BB-487F-B0F1-BD291FD08BE8.

Mili, deernaes, Yahboy and 1 other person like this.
  20. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    I do. A 2017. And it is a much better bass to me. Better made than my classic 50’s P. (Which is also awesome).

Here is Mike League jamming on one:

jd56hawk likes this.