1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes, another "which flats" for a P bass question.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mike M., Jun 28, 2012.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I tried a set of Chromes (.045-.105) and the tension was so tight I thought the neck was going to come off the bass. They weren't on for long.

Tried a set of Roto Sound flats and they were a bit to zingy. Didn't like the feel of them either. Those didn't last long either.

Thought I'd try something that was somewhat in the middle, like GHS Pressurwounds and I found those to be too stiff as well. They were on for about a week.

As far as tension in a flatwound I'd like something that's the same as the roundwound strings I'm now using, which are GHS Progressives and the gage is .045-.105. Not loose by any means but not too stiff either. For me they are very comfortable. As far as tonally in a flatwound, not too bright but not too dead right off the bat either.

Just want to try something in a flatwound but I'm not sure what would work best for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. The important thing to remember about flats is that while they may feel stiffer at first, you'll also probably be able to significantly lower your action. That should be enough to make them playable.

3. If you want less tension, why don't you buy thinner strings?
    TI Flats have same or less tension compared to regular rounds. Not zingy at all, expensive, but cheaper than 3 sets that don't suit you.

4. +1

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Flats for the most part will alway have more tension. You need to give them break in time to loosen up a bit, chromes always do. TI's are good but some feel they are too loose...different animal for sure and not cheap.

6. Chromes will break in in about two weeks, give or take, depending on how much you play.

I'd give it some time. You'll get used to the tension, and you can adjust your action to help. They're really great strings if you can stick with them.

7. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    TI flats are your best bet for that tension. A lot of people here love them, and yes, it's $70 for a set a strings that you may or may not like. Big whoop... If you don't like them, you can easily resell them to a TBer for $45+ so as long as you didn't do any odd trimming.

8. Labella 760FL Deep Talkin' Flats, light gauge, .043-.104.

9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm still looking for a set of flats also. I like the sound of Chromes but not sure about the tension. I had them on my old fretless and they were great, but I don't wanna have to adjust my truss rod going from 45-105 Elixirs to 45-105 Chromes.

I also don't like really loose strings.

10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    GHS Precision flats are nice, just give them some time to break in. All of those you listed for that matter. Some ppl leave flats on the same bass for years. Strange but true.

Labella DTB are nice but a little more dough, and black tapes are fun--bouncy trombone tone on a jazz (bad description?) & lower tension--if you don't mind the appearance.
    The good news is you can always sell your used flatwounds on TB; people will buy them.

11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I understand what you're saying. But the sets I mentioned was my first step into flatwounds and while I read they were generally stiffer I wasn't quite sure what to expect. You know, what's defined as too stiff for one person is perfect for the other.

The mentioned TI flat's....is that the TI Jazz set I've read about here by chance?

Thanks to all.

12. Really? Who's going to tell the Chromes that have been on my Ovation AE-40 for three years??

13. Lol. I gather you're not a fan? I've got a set that's got almost six months on them. I think you may have misread my post. I said they break IN, in about two weeks, not that they BREAK in about two weeks.

14. D'OH!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSux6s41u3nw7ETt1_T85Z282AXX8TcxfRlwfKjkZCMq6l5VEsjmg.

My bad.

15. Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are THE TI SET. I've also used TI Superalloys, have a bass strung with TI Acousticores and looking forward to try a set of Jazz Rounds, but all these are less popular.

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm really liking the LaBella FL's on my P, but if you think Chromes have a high tension I don't think you'd really like them.

I think TI's are probably the way to go.

17. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Sadowsky Flats Med Light. 100-45 I believe are the closest thing to a round wound tension that I've found.

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    No point in making a decision about a set of flats until you've broken them in, and certainly not unless you've adjusted your action and set up your bass for that set.

You might be pleasantly surprised at how easy they can be to fret and luck, and you will be hearing very different things than when they are new.

19. This is very true. When I first switched to flats, I couldn't play them, my action was set for the rounds I had been using.

After a setup for the flats, my action is lower than it ever was with rounds, and even with the higher tension, my bass is actually EASIER to play.

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Flats on a fretless P neck is a beautiful thing.