Yes concert in ATL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xush, Apr 29, 2004.

1. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Finally got to see them. Not sure why I waited so long...

Quite an impressive show. I think Chris may have swapped basses more than Steve did guitars... he had quite the arsenal. Played some really good stuff, songs I didn't expect at all. They could have had him mixed a little louder, you couldn't really hear the Ric do it's thing, but overall it was a cool show.

Not to sure about the Roger Dean stage design though...hmmm.
    Or the unplugged set. Well, Roundabout anyway. The rest actually suited the short acoustic set pretty well. I just feel bad for Roundabout- that ain't right.

They started with Going for the One- Chris on a Ranney 8-string (I thought it was an Alembic). Great song.
    then it all got a little fuzzy... uh, let's see. I know I saw the Lakland P (probably the best sounding bass of the night), 2 Mouradians - yep, the <A href="" target=_blank>green one showed up!
    Carvin LB76, Martin Acoustic, eventually the RIcky, let's see- which ones did I miss?
    Ah, a Tobias for one song. MPC for a couple tunes. No Wal triple-neck unfortunately. :crying:

They did Ritual in it's entirety. It made me both want to quit music altogether and play music 24 hours a day. Chris beat those Timps like they owed him money!

Anybody else there?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Did you need to wear ear plugs Mark?
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Nope, pretty reasonable volume.
    Very nice experience.

Now I have to be patient till the Rush Anniversary show in August!
  4. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    You suck man! :D -Luke
  5. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

Good to hear Squire is still using the Mouradian Basses. Jim Mouradian has been a friend of mine for years. He is one hell of a repair-guru. (i have seen him work miracles!)

Thanks for sharing.....
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, the mouradian sounded great on mind-drive. he switched to the green one in the beginning because the other one was giving him some problems i think.

the tobias he played is a custom made job with an extra long scale length and extra low frets - actually goes to a low a i think on the e string.

the last bass he played was the same one he did on a lot of drama, as well as on the videos they shot for some of the drama songs, like tempus fugit. i was hoping for a minute that they'd end up pulling that one out - that would totally rock - but i shoulda known better.

saw a few tb'ers there, along with some other friends. was a great show, i'm glad i didn't miss it. :hyper:
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    the MPC/westone deal w/ the effects built in? I can't quite remember what he played last.

I'd heard they might do Machine Messiah, alas- nope. :-(

You going to Rush in August?
  8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that one. i didn't know the company who made it, but that's the bass.

not while jon anderson is in the band, no doubt. i don't think they've every played anything from that album with him back in the band. a real shame.

heh. naturally. barbie and i will be in nashville for the tour opener as well. might try to swing a few more shows too, gotta see how things develop.
  9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I was really looking forward to seeing this tour but unfortunately Yes won't be coming to Colorado. :crying:
  10. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I was there! Great show!

Hi John.
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey man. it was great seeing you again, it's been a while. :hyper: :)
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    glad you cats liked it...I was a Squire fan for 2 minutes back in the late 70's...
  13. I saw them in California ( second show of tour ) and i have to say they arent what they used to be. One show back in the 70's they opened with sound chaser. Obviously not Wakeman but one of the best performances ever.
  14. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Sorry to hear that. They were cookin' in Hotlanta!
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Unfortunately they are not coming to Houston this time around, so I will miss this tour.

For you guys that think they are not what they used to be, maybe they just had a bad night or the soundman didn't do good.
    I've seen Yes at least 17 times since 1977 and their last tour (the 'Classic' tour with Wakeman) was the best show I've seen from them. They might've just had a great night I suppose, or perhaps it was just me that had a great night, probably a little of both I imagine.