Yes concert in Seattle last nite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Slaphappy, Jul 18, 2002.

1. This was the first show of their Classic Yes Tour, featuring the return (again) of Rick Wakeman to the fold :) He was great!

The band played very well, though not without start-of tour incidents and Tap-isms ;) On their third song, one from Magnification, John forgot the words halfway thru. Rick had some keyboard technical trouble during "Awaken", but soldiered thru. Chris was having frequent discussions for the set with his roadie about on-stage volume (as in not enough...jeez, he had TWO SVTs, a Marshall 4X12, and two 1x15s; you'd THINK there wouldn't be a problem!).

Other than those bits that just happen, they were amazing, especially brilliant was their playing of "South Side of the Sky" from Fragile, which they said they'd NEVER played in the US before now. My other favorite performance was of "Heart of the Sunrise", which they really nailed.

Overall sound quality of the gig....7 out of 10, improving as the night went on, of course. The Paramount has a VERY high, domed ceiling so there were a few midrange issues, but in general you could hear everything. Methinks I've been spoiled by concert DVDs :)

Here's the setlist, the best to my recollection:

Siberian Khattru
    Song from Magnification, don't recall title
    South Side of the Sky
    Revealing Science of God (cool!)
    Steve Howe solo

John Anderson solo
    Rick Wakeman solo
    And You and I (Rick and Jon)
    Heart of the Sunrise
    The Fish
    Song not sure of title OR album (newer)
    Roundabout (encore)

Show started at 8, over at 11.

Chris was his usual amazing self. Even despite some monitoring issues he was having, he never missed a note. He played his Rick almost all night, a Lakland or Sadowsky P-style for a couple of tunes, and his Wal triple-neck for Awaken.

"The Fish" was was about 10 mintues of Chris doing some amazing things with that bass! That alone was worth the trip.

Overall, a great time had by've never seen such adoring fans as Yes fans. With the possible exception of Rush fans, but I think you'll find there's a lot of the same people at those shows anyway :)
  2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Cool, I should be going to see them this coming Monday the 22nd here in Denver. I can't wait. For that matter I am also going to see Rush at the end of August.
  3. hmm, sounds pretty good! hopefully Yes will come to the Netherlands again with this line up, I would love to see them live...
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Yes in 1974 - they must have been touring for over 30 years now! And the setlist could have almost come from one of those 70s gigs! How many times must they have played some of those songs! I wonder if there is a record for longest touring band with the same set? ;)
  5. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I'll be at the Atlanta show Aug.13! Can't wait !
    I'm really glad to see they're doing "SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY". I've always wanted to hear that one LIVE!