Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yes - Fragile

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by McHack, Sep 20, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It's been so long that I've listened to this, that I had almost forgotten how incredible it is...

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Agreed

3. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Agreed.

Now go listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans, Close To The Edge, and Relayer.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    We discussed this the other day on the Benavente Yahoo! group :cool:

I caught myself humming "Heart of the Sunrise" the other night out of the blue. It may have been the cool air, Yes has always been a Fall/Winter band for me...

Anyway I just pulled Fragile out after 2 or 3 years without listening to it. I replaced my flats with some Stainless Rounds as a result :D

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Me too. Isn't that odd, how some bands and albums are seasonal?

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    A beautiful piece of artwork!:) Thankyou YES! Does anyone know what amp Chris was using for recording/touring during that era?

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Fragile is an incredible album. Chris Squire is probably my favorite player. I think he was using SUNN amps back then but I'm not sure.

8. Very true :)

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am not sure what he used on that record, but I do remember him saying that he often recorded through guitar amps/cabs in those days.

10. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    It's the opposite for me, Yes has always been a summer band for me. Probably because of back in the summer of '89 when I bought most of the Yes catalog within a 2-week span. ;)

I think I might have to go pick up a remastered copy of Fragile, the one I have is kinda old and dodgy (probably the first release of Fragile on CD), like they didn't do a good job mastering it for CD (some digital distortion/clipping here and there, watch those meters guys!)

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D Fall 1982... I was listening to some Rush on my walkman in Drafting class my Freshman year. The local "Keyboardist" (a senior) overheard and said they only 'wished' they could be Yes.

He copied me Fragile and Tormato to cassette from his LP... I bought most everything they'd released on LP within the next 2 months.

12. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    YES is great. It's has also been quite some time since I've gave a good listen to Yes.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    When I was in college back in 1976 :eek: the two albums I really shedded on (besides the funk stuff) were Stanley Clarke's first solo album and "Close to the Edge". Of course I never had anyone to play any of that stuff with:D. At the time these represented the epitome of bassplaying to me (besides whoever that guy was on the Motown stuff;)

14. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Me, too! With the possible exception of 90125, which is a Summertime album for me.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but two other albums from that era that are classics for my Autumn listening are from Genesis: Trick of The Tail and Wind and Wuthering.

Fish Out of Water is a terrific piece of work, too.

Squire is amazing. And I always liked Trevor Rabin, too ...

Don't get me started talking about Yes ... I'll go on for hours! :cool:

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

"Heart of the Sunrise" is my favorite Yes song.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    Stanley's first solo album was Children Of Forever...mostly URB & pretty forgetable.

Wasn't Fragile just re-issued?

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

True. I meant this one:

[​IMG]

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been humming "Heart of the Sunrise" ALL weekend long. My wife catches me every so often & looks at me like I'm nuts! SHARP! DISTANCE!

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Definately one of my favorites too. The opening was one of the first Squire attempts.

I think "South Side of the Sky" is my all time favorite Yes tune... but there are so many great ones

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was paid an excellent compliment by two seperate individuals - they said that when they heard my band's cd it reminded them of the first time they heard fragile.