1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes - Gates of Delirium?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by RandomBass90, Apr 22, 2016.

1. I know this is quite an undertaking, but it's a song I've always loved and wanted to tackle. I did some looking around online and on the youtube and didn't see any real concise tablature or notation for the whole song, most of what I've found is just a wall of numbers and lines and little explanation.

Does anyone here happen to know a good resource for this particular song? I could sit and piece it out by ear probably, but that'd take a very long time. I'm hoping someone here might have given this track a go before and perhaps have some tips or particular tabs/videos in mind. I appreciate any and all input.

MCF likes this.
  2. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    There was a guitar/bass notation/tab book issued for the album back in the 70's, you could probably find it on Ebay. It was accurate in some parts, not in others, and some sections (like the crazy "battle" section) were eliminated.

3. Well that sounds kinda disappointing, especially if it's omitting certain sections, particularly the battle section, of all things. I had found a few playthroughs on youtube that im trying to learn from but it's slow going. Thanks for the reply though!

4. Plaz

Plaz

Sep 7, 2006
    North-Central NJ
    Having read this thread, I'm now going to have that middle section in 7 stuck in my head for hours. LOL

5. Not a bad problem to have, lol. It's the 11 section of the battle theme that gets in my head, personally.

Plaz likes this.
  6. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Good luck with that one. One of my favorite pieces. Way too complex for me. Saw the tour at the Hollywood Bowl. Moraz was phenomenal (Rick who?). I actually had the guitar book for the album, but it got lost along the way years ago. Let us know if you tackle it. Hat's off to you for even trying. I could probably learn 20 other songs in the time it would take to get that one; if I even could.

RandomBass90 likes this.
  7. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I'm at work so I can't remember it precisely, but I think it goes something like this:

G-----12----(h)---|:--W-T-F??----------------:
    D--------14--8----|:--W-T-F??----------------:
    A--------13--7----|:--W-T-F??----------------:
    E------------X----|:--(readjust furry boots)-:

8. So thats what im missing. Time to go boot shopping!

9. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    09JonChris.jpg

IngloriousOz and RandomBass90 like this.
  10. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    O
    I forgot about the boots. I never really paid that much attention to what they wore, excepet when Wakeman had a dress like thing on during either the Fragile tour or the Close to the Edge Tour. I Don't remember. It could have been the Tales tour. For me, it was all about the fabulous, epic sound. I feel very lucky to have seeen them a number of times when they were at the height of their musicianship. I'm sorry to say that seeing them live pretty much ended for me during a terrible show at the Long Beach Arena during the Drama tour. Unlistenable. I liked the album ok, but the sound at that show put it at the bottom of my list. And I have been to some pretty horrindous concerts over the years. Like Neil and the Shocking Pinks. Or Chuck Mangionie (I broke up with that girl the next day) or Joe Jackson (ditto).

11. Agreed on the whole Drama album outlook, while some of the songs are good (and i really love the album art), I consider it the last acceptable output from the band. I wasnt around while they were in their heyday, but I am pretty jealous of you getting to see them! Did you happen to catch their Tales or Relayer tour?

Btw, here's the video that I found on youtube that Im trying to learn from. There's a clear view of the guys hands the entire time, and his tone is easily heard, making picking this out from ear/sight at least an option. If anyone wanted to take some stabs at it along with me, feel free, and we can maybe help each other with whichever parts are giving us difficulty, which so far for me has been all of it lol. If this bassist is here on talkbass, you get massive props from me for playing this song with such high accuracy and feel.

MCF likes this.
  12. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Here is Miguelbass's version, he always does a nice job but the camera work isn't always giving a good view of his fretting hand:

RandomBass90 likes this.
  13. Yeah I've seen his cover before too, and while he totally kills it as well, it's not as easy for me to try to learn from due to, like you pointed out, the angles and editing that are present. Still an awesome cover of a very tough song!

MCF likes this.
  14. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    The Hollywood Bowl concert I have referenced before was the Relayer tour with Moraz replacing Wakeman. He was awsome. I was in the 11th grade. It still ranks as the best concert I have ever been to. And I have been to plenty. Well over 100. Many of them were amazing. The Boss. Neil. The Clash. Genesis. ELP. The Pretenders. Petty. Tull. Bowie. Costello. Al Stewart. Blondie. Sabboth. Zepplin. Purple. Floyd. Patti Smith. And pretty much everyone else but the Beatles.

Steve Pond of the LA Times gave it a rave review. The only possibly negative thing he said was that, given the venue, they should have broken into Wouldn't It Be Nice during the encore. They ended with Sweet Dreams. It was awesome. I can still pretty much recall every minute of the night. I bought a bootleg bumper sticker in the parking lot that I had on my old Volvo 544 until it disintegrated; "Don't surround yourself with yourself." I strive to live up to that phrase to this day.

Frankly, there have been a few post 90215, Big Generator (not a fan of either) gems on the later albums. It is the inconsistency that aggrevated me. As for the Rabin era, only Talk is listenable in its entirety, IMO. The last great entire piece of work was Turn of The Century. The album and tour were great. They played the Forum for that one. Tormato was mixed. I don't remember where I saw that one; could have been the old Anaheim Convention Center? Drama was the Long Beach Arena. I left before it was over. As did a few thousand others. Absolutely terrible noise.

15. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    That piece is a beast. Way beyond my patience to ever figure it out. I tried in like 1975 when I was pretty cocky. Couldn't do it. And my guitarist said there was no way he would ever attempt to work on breaking it down.

16. bondibox

bondibox

Dec 21, 2019
    I know this is an old thread but I found a vid of a guy shredding this on bass (and guitar).

The Owl likes this.
  17. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Working on it. This is the first 5:40-ish of the song.

Attached Files:

18. Although I grew up mainly playing keys & guitar, I've been playing a lot of bass lately, focussing largely on early Yes and Wetton era King Crimson. After getting down Heart of the Sunrise, Starship Trooper, Close To The Edge & Roundabout, I've set out to master Gates of Delirium (a task requiring a measure of OCD!).
    The Youtube video from post #11 is the closest I've seen of all the Youtube vids (far better than the one from post #16, where one can hear clashing notes and numerous simplifications).
    Miguel is good too, but it's easier to see David's hands in #11. Here's David Keep's channel, where he has has a variety of Yes bass covers posted: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChs5xHX4psoxe8ZCo1eFbRQ/videos
    And his version of Gates:
    And Miguel's channel (it seems he took down his Gates cover, but he still has a lot of Yes videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDeVUoC9RepoKZ9NrFuHBlw
    That said, there are still moments where each are not quite spot on; to be expected with a song so complex. The dense arrangement and mix on the album doesn't help either, nor does Squire's sound, which occasionally makes it hard to tell exactly what he is doing (check out this isolated bass & drum track of Close To The Edge to see what I mean: - e.g. the pattern at 4:46 where the overtones create a slight ambiguity or the C# at 6:21, where the combination of the sound, the tuning and a likely punch-in makes the C# note sound out of tune).
    I've looked and looked, and have yet to find a good tab /sheet music or another 'cover' (play along demo) of 'Gates' that comes close to David & Miguel's Youtube videos; nor have I run across an isolated bass track from the album; if one is ever posted, some of the more challenging sections could be clarified. Until then, I am stuck with using a variety of techniques to nail down the song (e.g. loading the original in Wavelab Pro, filtering the highs somewhat, muting the sides & slowing down certain sections to figure out some of the real fast runs).
    Not that many would notice the inaccuracies were a great bassist to play Gates live with a competent group; for me it's more about getting into Squire's mind and sussing out his unique approach.

19. Love the live version on “Yeshows”. Love Chris’ work but Moraz always rubbed me the wrong way

JB