1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes, I drove over my bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zenrad, Aug 8, 2019.

1. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ok, so last Friday I was on my way to a rehearsal and at the last minute decided to leave my usual (read expensive) bass home and take my Squier CV P bass, which is a great instrument and one of my favorite Ps I've ever played (Fralin PUPs, new pots, NOS Orange drop I've had in a bin for 35 years, threaded rod Fender bridge, flats and foam inside the rear ashtray I put on - total 60's bass). I just woke up from a short nap and had to hurry out of the house, took the bass in a gig bag outside to put it in the car. Dang! The car is locked, so I leaned the bass against the rear hatch (something I've never done - yes you can see where this is going to go) and went inside for the keys.

Once inside I remembered a few other things, my dog needed water, I pet her goodbye, grabbed a plum to eat on the way and went back outside, completely forgetting I never put the bass IN the car :D

I slowly start backing up, I hear a muffled thud (the windows are closed, AC is on), thought hmm...and as I'm backing up it feels like I'm rolling over a stick or something. I didn't remember any branches behind me, and as I'm slowly backing up my gig bag becomes visible, face down in the driveway. I thought "You have got to be kidding!" and had to laugh.
    Really?
    I ran over my bass?
    I'm a total idiot! :laugh:

I get out and walk over to the gig bag. Face down. Tire tracks across it. Even funnier. I figured I had it for a long time, it served me well, let it go.

I pick it up fully expecting to see a bag full of splinters and ugliness. To my surprise the bass is fully intact, no cracks, just a big dent and chipped paint in the upper bout from a rock that was under it! I laughed even more! I looked at it very closely in the light, not a crack in the neck or headstock! Seems the tires ran across the upper bout and headstock because it was at an angle. I'm in a hurry so I take it to rehearsal. Once there as I was about to play I find that two tuners were bent and damaged and need replacing (the stock tuners are made of that weak Squier metal that basically saved the headstock by pushing outward under pressure). One string got dented over a fret and the fret needs a little polishing.

So...my CV Squier needs only two tuners, strings and one fret end polished after being run over by an SUV.

Got the tuners today, it'll be done tonight. I love this bass even more now. THAT folks, is the proper way to relic an instrument...:roflmao::thumbsup:

2. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I don't even know what to say...

ronbo1, rollie 55, JaseyT and 8 others like this.
  3. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    "Road-Worn" P Bass

Would love to see some post incident pics of that bad boy.

nnnnnn, SWRnut, Jesuguru and 56 others like this.
  4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Congratulations! You're now qualified to work for Gibson! :woot:

5. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    20190808_154746. 20190808_154732. 20190805_183528.

6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    :D

zenrad likes this.
  7. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    That's really not too bad at all. I think I need to go get myself a Squier CV P-Bass.

JaseyT, J0hn, Quinn Roberts and 4 others like this.
  8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I once left a Squier VMJ5 in a roadrunner semi-hard case (just styrofoam under cloth) leaning on my car and drove off without it. My guitarist at the time then drove over it with an F150. My drummer found it the next day with huge tread marks going the whole length of the case. The inner styrofoam was smashed to bits, but the bass didn’t have a scratch on it. I don’t know if that speaks to the durability of the bass, or the case.

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    More like “Driveway Worn”. ;) :D

BLYN, mexicant, barrenelly and 17 others like this.
  10. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    :roflmao:

Mike Whitfield, akrachanko and Slater like this.
  11. Properly Roadworn now. Cool story.

12. At least you got a story to go with the road rash....

zenrad likes this.
  13. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    This is how the mojo begins.

City, mikewalker, WillieB and 4 others like this.
  14. You’d be hard pressed to find any tuners that would not have bent. You might need a bit of a toothpick in the screw holes if they are stripped out.

JaseyT and zenrad like this.
  15. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Came here to say that...

akrachanko and zenrad like this.
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    It's only a bass. Simple material. Be glad it was only a bass and not something worse.

bassliner50, JoshS and EatS1stBassist like this.
  17. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    I thought this was going to be a “parting out” thread. I would have taken the Fralins. Glad it survived.

zenrad likes this.
  18. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Great story! Glad it survived.

retslock and zenrad like this.
  19. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Amateur!
    Don’t you know you have to fling it down a flight of stairs?
    0F33BC95-7699-428E-A887-F0EADC6C1385.

20. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    20190808_203713.
    As it turns out, a little time with my urethane hammer and my large vise made the two tuners good as new. Yes, two holes needed the toothpick.

Total cost of repair - one set of strings :)