1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yes, I drove over my bass!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by zenrad, Aug 8, 2019.

1. A friend of mine was loading up her van for orchestra practice back in high school. Put her stool in the back and gets in. Puts it in reverse. Hears the sound of a double bass being destroyed. She now plays viola and piano...

zenrad likes this.
  2. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Gives a whole new meaning to bending notes!

CaptObvious, 2tonic and zenrad like this.
  3. OMG hahahahahahaha best quote ever

aaaaand - you're very lucky! Squier metal saves the day!

zenrad likes this.
  4. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    After playing a particularly wild gig one night I was loading out through the back of the venue. I get to my car and realize I left my keys inside. Slid my bass under my car and ran back inside. Grabbed my keys, grabbed another armload of gear and headed back out. Put the other gear in my band’s van and continued on with my night. When I was leaving, I backed out the parking space. And saw my bass on the ground in the space I just backed out of. My heart sank. Had I not slid it as far as I did I may have ran it over. Had I pulled out of the space moving forward, I would have left it in the parking lot. Everyone makes mistakes.

zenrad likes this.
  5. something something "overdrive;)" pedal something...

whero, chuckNC, ELG60 and 3 others like this.
  6. Wow glad it was okay, quick story not my guitar but my band the lead guitarist was in the lead in our 5 car convoy going to a gig we were getting on to the highway when his trunk popped open and his guitar case comes flying out the back my singer can't avoid it and he runs his case under his SUV, it pops out the back and I hit it with my Lincoln Town car. we all pull over and he is in a panic the case was beat up pretty good but his guitar didn't seem to have any damage, So get to the gig and he is tuning up and the headstock just falls off we are in horror as it is just swinging from the strings. this was a Brian Moore Custom Shop Electric Guitar model C90P yeah it was a 3000.00 guitar :(

slareman likes this.
  7. Right off the bat I thought this was a jab at Gibson, in all honesty. That being said, that's a pretty cool story OP :) stuff happens but thankfully your bass could stand up to it.

zenrad likes this.
  8. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Eh, I’ve put worse dents in things without the aid of a vehicle.

9. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I'll add my story....I backed over my hollow-body Aria which was thankfully in a hard case. It was on grass (the bass was on grass, not me). Anyway the bass survived with NO damage at all. The case needed a little TLC but it was still completely usable.

I also left my bass in the back of my pickup truck all night where maybe a million people saw it. Was still there in the morning.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    One more reason that I'm constantly confused by people who refuse to back into their driveway. It raises your quality of life and wellbeing... sometimes in fiscally measurable amounts like in situations like this.

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  11. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Awesome! Truly a "could've been a lot worse" story.

12. ScottsTheLimit

ScottsTheLimit SUSPENDED

Sep 3, 2018
    Man...is there NOTHING that will kill the P-bass with tort/flats/mute trend???

Sheesh!

thisonegoestoeleven and zenrad like this.
  13. One winter eve about 25 years ago I ran over my Steinberger L2 bass when in a hurry loading my car for a gig, It was in its gig bag, The strap swivel plate suffered a bit of road rash but the bass was unscathed..
    If I remember correctly I may have thrown up in the bushes (from nerves) before proceeding on my way...

14. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Stories like this make me both cringe and cheer.

Durability is always a big selling point for me. I used to play in a raucous punk band so an instrument that can withstand a moshpit thrashing (which would be the equivalent of being run over by a truck) is ace. I used a German-made bubinga Warwick Corvette back then, and that thing was like a sledgehammer. An errant mosher's skull would take more damage than that bass.

Oh, and I remember this old Ibanez video where Jeanne Sagan of All That Remains mentioned once running over one of her Soundgears and it was still good enough to play that night.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    zenrad likes this.
  15. I once got a free Telecaster that was run over by a band bus - the case was in splinters and the guitar player didn't even want to look. After they left I cleaned up the mess and the guitar was untouched as was all the usual case candy including shall we say some contraband that I traded for a new case. I later traded that guitar for the only Alembic bass I ever owned that sadly is long gone, a 32" Distillate 5 string with Cocobolo facings.

Skillet likes this.
  16. OK, the interweb is closed for the day...you win! :roflmao:

Winslow likes this.
  17. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Funny thing is most of the time I do back into my driveway because it makes it easier to load/unload. Not that day though...

MattZilla likes this.
  18. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Well, it's been going on for over 50 years so...;)

I got it back in 2010 I think, for a band I was in at the time that played classic rock etc. Two colors were available, Fiesta Red and Pacific Blue. Didn't care for the blue at all, so the red won. :)

The flats and mute went on when I had to do Beatles tunes for a gig and I wanted to get close to a McCartney sound. I liked it so much along with the Fralins I left it alone ever since. I don't gig with it often, but I sometimes bring it along for JGB or Dylan tunes. I totally understand why folks love them, even though it's not my first choice for the material I play. It just does...this thing...well, you know...

MattZilla likes this.
  19. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Didn't Fender make a Highway-1 bass for a while? That must have been as tough to kill as yours.

20. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    I LOL'D with this!

Winslow likes this.