1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yes i know another fender p bass thread! pls help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattpbass, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    hi guys

i have a 2003 hiway 1 p bass , can anybody tell me what pups aRE in this bass?? , the reason for my thread is as that when i play on the G and D strings on my bass i have a noticed a drop in volume and bottom end , the pup height is fine and strings arent chocking either, could it be to little mids on my eq maybe?

so i was think maybe change the pup to a dimarzio model p ?

please help anybody? its driving me crazy

im using a galien k mb 200 and neo series 4x10 gk cab , sans amp tech 21 just as a pre amp ie bass on half , treble on half and volume half m just as a boost to my tone

matt

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IIRC, the pups in those basses were the same as in the MIMs at the time - nothing terrible, but nothing spectacular, either... If you're looking for a more modern sound, those DiMarzios or S-D's SPB-3(quarter pounder) are good choices - if you're looking for old school P Bass tone, S-D's SPB-1 or Fender's '62 are both great choices - all of them can be had for under $70...

To get better results with the original pickups, you often have to experiment with different pup heights...

- georgestrings

3. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    and the midz issue could it be the gk tone?

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I had one about the same vintage and was not impressed .

what tone are you going for ?

look at the basslines site as well as dimarzio as they have tone charts showing outputs as well as bass , mid , treble levels .

Don't forget about bartolini

5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Put some magnets below the DG coil :D

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Sansamp and GK combined will have a bit of a scooped sound(with those settings on the Sansamp anyway, try backing off the bass a bit). You could raise the pickup a bit more. I have a 2002 MIM Precision and it sounds terrific throughout the range so I don't know if its the pickup or your setup. I do totally agree with the above suggestions if you are looking for an upgrade though.

7. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    i have the 2003 fender frontline mag and its says that the hiway 1 has vintage split coils and the mim just says spilt coils , the kind of tone im looking for would be more of the classic p tone as i play covers , if i played in a heavier rock band i would do the whole svt tone on the sansamp , scooped mids etc , help? any gk or sansamp settings for the classic p tone

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    In that case, I'd go with the Duncan SPB-1. I like them a lot.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Me too - I had it and the Fender '62 at the same time, and preferred the SPB-1 over the Fender pup - although they're both quite good, IMO...

- georgestrings

10. Why would Fender stuff MIM pickups in an MIA bass??

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Because they were/are basically MIM bass that are assembled here in the US.

12. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I would try raising the treble side of the pickup. Also, lowering the bass and treble slightly on the Sansamp will boost the pedals mids. It has a built on EQ curve that does this. If those things don't work, try a different or new set of strings. If none of the above makes a noticeable improvement, then look at new pickups. As georgestrings stated, the pickups you mentioned will have a hotter, more modern tone. If you want to keep it old school, go with the 62's (if you can find them...I imagine they'll be getting scarce soon. Bass Parts Resource has them I think).

Even better, take a look at Lindy Fralins offerings. Clear, articulate, warm and capable of a great old school tone. Even more traditional sounding are Lollars. Both are well worth the money and are a true step up from what you have. The Fender 62's are excellent for the price though

13. petrus61

Also, its not the amp...it's only reproducing the signal it receives from your bass and pedals.

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Antiquity pickups......Duncan

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    GK amps certainly add their own "flavor" to the tone.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I don't know, but they did - same thing with the tuners and neckplate, IIRC... I don't think the Highway 1 or later Highway One basses ever used the same pups or hardware the MIAs of their time did, but I'm no expert...

- georgestrings

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    A bit of an exaggeration - the necks definitely weren't MIM on the "One" series, but *might* have been on the "1" series... For example, the "One" series necks had the trussrod adjuster in the heel, and had poliflex rods, exactly like the MIA necks of their time...

I also believe that the bodies were MIA, but were sprayed in Mexico...

- georgestrings

18. petrus61

Yes, but that "flavor" isn't deciding that it doesn't like the OP's D and G strings over any other strings. The amp is only giving what it gets. The GK sound isn't really known for its selective string bias lol.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for ditching the pickup. You could try raising the D and G sides but I just got an 09 AmStd P with a stock pickup that did the same thing no matter how I set the pickup height or tone controls. I used to be against modding Fenders but some of them have lousy pickups. The 62 Original pickup kills in it, though. Probably would have been happy with a Duncan SPB-1 too, but I only needed one.

20. mattpbass

mattpbass

May 8, 2011
    guys thanks for your help!!i have 2 p basses so theone bass i wanna make old school sounding , flats etc as its a 62 reissue MIJ, the highway 1 isnt the same pup as the mex , its says so in the fender catalogue from 2003, the bridge saddles are usa aswell and the trussrod is in imperial sizing with the allen key , i cant use the same allen keys that i adjust my mex jazz with on my hiway, as far as i know there are differences , in south africa the hiway ones used to cost 12 grand 10 years ago and the mex now only cost 11 grand now.. what ur guys view on the 'greese bucket ' circuit when\ if i replace the pups should change the circuit to usa std wiring and if i dont change the pups should i change the wiring anyway?