yes i know i should have a teacher...

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by tbassist4, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Well I have some questions. And yes, I know a teacher would be best, but they're expensive, hard to find, and I end up fighting with them and all kinds of nasty things, but the biggest reason: They're expensive. I just have a few quick questions that are just baisc things, and I'd greatly appriciate anyone's kindness. The only other question I have is about bowing angle across the stings. I've heard it's not right to bow straight across (I assume this means right angle, bow perfectly perpendicualr to strings) and thats how most electric bassists who start upright want to play it. How should this be done properly? Any help would be appriciated, and I know I'm a nuisance, but this is all I need to get me started. I've been playing electric bass for a few years now and i know the instrument, so I just need to get the bowing down. Thank you very much to anyone who will help!!

haha had to edit, one of my questions was answered in another thread, this one remains unanswered tho...
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fighting with a teacher? What for? Why hire a teacher if you're just going to argue with them?
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Keeping the bow perpendicular to the string is correct. Use a full length mirror and experiment with changing the angle to hear the difference.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you think of it as an investment in yourself that will be amortized over the life of your career, paying for a teacher is one of the cheapest things you'll ever do.